Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bad luck

+1

Bad luck

If it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all.

I took the skis out today. Made it about a mile from the launch and the Genesis starting making some grinding noises. I thought the stator bearings may be shot so I turned around to head back to the launch and lost all thrust and the MFI went blank. I shut the motor off and towed her back to the launch.

I looked inside the hull at the launch and noticed all four engines mounts let go. The engine went fwd and pulled the impeller with it effectively chewing up the pump tunnel. What a mess. I'll have to post up some pics.

+1

+1
    Holy crap man. Sorry to hear this. Your right though, when it rains it pours with these toys.

Hope to see your luck turn around soon.

+1
    Thx. I think I might have to find a new hull. lol

Banned User
    +1
    I think we saw another ski do that not too long ago. I dont get how the motor could pull the pump forward though. I would think the drive shaft would disconnect itself.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tjdriver View Post
    Thx. I think I might have to find a new hull. lol
    Your in better spirits than I would be. If my Virage did that, it would be lit on fire Haha!!!

+1
    Lol. Well, I only paid $500 for the ski. I've put a ton more into it since then, but it what it is.

I don't get how it pulled fwd either. Just doesn't make sense. All 4 engine mounts going at once?

I wish the shaft had come out of the impeller. The impeller stripped the threads on the stub shaft.

+1
    Lol. Well, I only paid $500 for the ski. I've put a ton more into it since then, but it what it is.

I don't get how it pulled fwd either. Just doesn't make sense. All 4 engine mounts going at once?

I wish the shaft had come out of the impeller. The impeller stripped the threads on the stub shaft.
    Did the impeller come loose & spin off the stub shaft? maybe "pushed" the motor forward?

+1
    It did come off the stub shaft. It stripped off. The threads are trashed.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post

Did the impeller come loose & spin off the stub shaft? maybe "pushed" the motor forward?
    What happened at the engine mounts? Did they come unbolted, torn out of the hull inserts, or rubber torn apart?

My initial suspicion is that the impeller was not retained on the stub shaft, for whatever reason (stripped threads, not torqued tight enough, stub shaft bent, etc).

While you were riding all the thrust from the impeller was pushing forward on the driveshaft, which normally does not experience any forward thrust. So the rubber engine mounts were experiencing shearing forces from the impeller pushing on the engine. Plus the normal engine vibration.

As the individual rubber engine mounts failed the remaining mounts suffered more stress, therefore each successive mount would fail more quickly and suddenly.

Once the engine was released from the mounts it would shift forward even more, which is when the impeller chewed into the pump tunnel.

Not a good situation, obviously. In addition to the hull damage and jet pump damage, the engine itself may have damage.

The crank shaft bearings normally do not experience forward thrust. In this case the crank bearings were pushing enough to break free of the engine mounts. I cannot say whether the engine bearings have suffered any damage. Once you have the engine out of the hull, if you can detect any axial play (front to rear) in the bearings, that would not be good.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information