Good deal on a GP1300R?

Hey guys, I've owned an Ultra 150 before, and that is the only ski, but recently came across a 2003 GP1300 for sale with 65 hours for $3000. I know about the Powervalve problem and to get the waveeater clips. Other than that what should I be looking for/skeptical about for this ski? I don't know much about them other than they are fast and fairly nimble and that they can be modded to go really fast. Seems like a pretty good deal to me, but I dont know much about them. Any help would be appreciated and a timely response would be appreciated as I dont think it will last long.

Also, I'll eventually be looking at a rebuild as all 2 strokes do. Will it be a problem to do it myself? I know alot of people do them on the Ultra 150 themselves and I did one and was fairly simple. Is it the same way for the 1300, more difficult, or less difficult? Thanks again guys and gals.

+1
    As all gpr's are, its a pretty reliable ski. Do a compression check on all 3 cylinders. They should be within 5% of each other, ideally equal. Look for 115 to 135# depending on the quality of compression guage. If possible, inspect the hull in the pump shoe area, especially if it has speed mods. It's best to check internally but it may not be feasible. It's also best to do a ride test if possible before buying any ski. If everything checks out $3000 is a good deal.

If possible do an open water test, they can sound awesome on a trailer but bog down under load needing carb rebuild...not sure about the 13r but the 1200 it was PAIN to do as most of the exhaust had to come off to access carbs

its fuel injected;0)

Thanks guys. I've got a test ride set up for this week. I've bought skis before and know what to look for in general, I just didn't know if there was anything specific to this model to look out for and how hard they were to work on yourself.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Port31 View Post
    Thanks I've got a test ride set up for this week. I've bought skis before and know what to look for in general, I just didn't know if there was anything specific to this model to look out for and how hard they were to work on yourself.
    Thr 2003 was supposedly the weakest hull in the pump shoe area. That's why I mentioned it. Good luck.

+1
    As 007gpr mentioned, check the pump shoe carefully. There was an issue with the inserts pulling through the hull on the 2003 ski. It may have been fixed already but make sure its not hanging down or taking on water. Ask if the pump shoe brackets have been upgraded or fixed. If not you will need to upgrade them before adding go fast parts. I own a modded 2003 and my shoe inserts were screwed at 6hrs!!

+1
    I bought my 2003 GP1330R with 90 hours for 3K, after 3 seasons of riding hard, I am rebuilding top end, but not everybody rides as much as I do or as hard, i beat mine good. 3K if compression checks out and a water test checks out, would be a good deal. That ski should hit 65-67, if its does hit near that, I'd pass.

+1
    Hello and welcome to the Hulk. $3K is just about right ... sounds great just having 65 hrs. You should not worry about doing a rebuild .... for the most that is several years off. Good Luck

Thread Information