Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

new speedster owner

This board seems to have more new speedster owners than anywhere else I have looked so I guess ill start posting here, just bought a 07 speedster 150 with the 215hp motor, been out on it once and absolutely love it, but as with everything else I own its gonna need to be modded soon.

I think I will copy the y connector intake setup as that appears to work pretty well and still pull some air through the stock box.

I also noticed a bit of slack in the throttle cable so I adjusted that out a little which I hope will help.

I wonder if removing the intake grate all together would help at all (at risk of sucking stuff up of course) I know on my old jetski it seemed like it gave it a tad more top end, but I put my grate back on anyways out of paranoia.

Anyone else have a speaker grill fly off? I was just cruising along and i hit a little bit of chop and next thing I know one was missing. I was going maybe 30-35mph and the chop wasnt even that bad so I guess maybe not well mounted to begin with.

I tried to read as much as I can but there doesnt seem to be a ton of info out there for these boats, so I guess we will have to help each other out as much as possible.

almost forgot, I was out for a good 3-4 hours cruising around for breakin and the hour meter still shows 0 hours, is this normal?

Nice Boat!

Congrats on a nice boat! I ride w/o the intake grates, more out of frustration than for performance, though good to hear it might help out w/ top end. The only thing the grates keep out is your hands/arms when something gets stuck. All the other schwag goes in no problem. Figured that all the tines really do is baffle the water as it is going into the pump . . . more interruption commensurate with more speed. No problems since removing them, but no speed runs with & without for top end comparison.

Sounds like something is wrong with your hour meter . . . stock or aftermarket? Mine (2006) didn't come w/ one. The ecu keeps track anyway, I think.

I've had my 150 for three months now. You've undoubtedly read some of my posts; I try to post any real information I can, because, I too was surprised with the lack information on the net. I'm so used to being able to jump on the internet and find any information I need. Hell, I own a rare concept-type vehicle that I'm able to find more info on the net than I can find about these sport boats. The nearly identical 4-Tec Sportsters have been out for years, and no one hardly talks about them. Luckily, the 150 is basically just a very large RXP, or especially RXT, and those are well discussed, so a lot of that knowledge transfers over.

On the intake grate, I've just got to believe it has kept a couple of fish or sticks out of the pump by now, so personally, I'm leaving mine on. I will take it off and grind it down to sharpen the point where it splits the water though. BTW, I live & ride on a very weedy lake, and have been very happy thus far with how the ol' salad shooter has handled it.

The grills were difficult to pry off when I replaced the speakers, so at least you're half way to getting them switched out for better ones.

The hour meter? Shhhhhh, that's our little secret! Nah, I was perplexed by that too, but it seems to work as a proper aircraft engine would, it seems to factor the RPM in the calculation, not just how long the key has been in. It stayed at 0, 1, 2, etc., hours for the longest time, because I was just puttering around for the break-in, but now that I'm running full throttle much of the time, the meter is ticking by the hours at a faster rate. In fact, I had the 10hr service done with 5hr on the meter, because I knew that I had already done a good 10 hour break-in at that point.

I donít know about you, but I love that they changed the instrument panel for the í07ís to the LCD one the skis use, instead of the old analog gauges; it fits the 150 well, but I was just a the dealership (checking if they have the software fix for my non-working $600 BRP depth finder, which they do not), and saw a new Challenger there that had the same panel. It looks terrible! The Challenger has a big cockpit and a lot of panel real estate, and it is all empty, except for these little jetski instruments. While it fits the 150 perfectly, on the Challenger it definitely looks like it was thrown in as an afterthought.

I have read all the posts I could scrounge up, and seeings as I ran into 4 other seadoo jet boats on the lake yesterday I would think there would be more people posting, perhaps I need to advertise the site to people, perhaps a T-shirt or something lol.

Yes the speaker grills dont seem very well attached to me at all, the other one popped off in my hand easily, so im not sure what the deal is there, but I am gonna call the dealer and see if that is warranty just for curiousity.

The intake grate is technically only there to prevent large debris from entering so removing it would theoretically help top speed I would think, but im not taking any chances on my brand new boat. Filing it sharp sounds like a good idea, and would potentially slice some weeds and stuff up anyways for extra grinding power hehe.

The instrument panel seems fine to me, with all the info displayed neatly, im not sure I like that its shared with the jetski but I guess it makes sense to save on costs.

I do think I can explain the lack of people posting and such, I believe for most people a boat like this is simply a weekend toy and nothing more, they dont care how it works or what can be done to it, just that it starts and runs when they hit the lake. Being a car enthusiast and a mechanicaly minded person makes me want to learn as much as I possibly can.

Welcome aboard.. I too havent been here long..

I think the reason you dont see to many posts from the speedster 150 guys is becuase alot of the people who would own a small boat like this already owns a Much larger boat/yacht and just use the 150 to get from the big boat to the dock and such..

I would really think the guys who do [email protected] for the jet skis would spend some time developing some parts for the boats... I know i would give them some cash...

About the LCD instrument panel, I really like it a lot on our 150s, that's one of the reasons a got an '07, I was just saying that I was surprised how out of place it looked on the Challenger. I've mentioned before that in the past, Sea-Doo was more concerned that their jetboats were seen as "real" boats (Merc engines, analog gauges, etc.), so it's strange to see them now incorporating so much from the skis.

The downside of the LCD panel though is, the speedometer can't be calibrated like the old analog one could, so, I'm stuck with it reading -10 off at full throttle. I personally don't look at it anymore since I installed a GPS, but I don't like my passengers thinking they are "only" doing 45mph. Also, a small downside is when you pay Sea-Doo $600 to have their depth finder incorporated into the LCD dash, and after three months, they supposively haven't written the software to make it work yet!

-Scott

Well i'm new here too

I just picked myself up a 07 150 Speedster SCIC ( Red ).

Saturday just gone I took it out for the first time in Sarasota Florida. I was out for a good 5 hours, yet the hour meter shown 1 hour then went back to 0 hours just before I left for home !!!

I also broke off my compartment latch lock on the drivers side. My buddy was driving in a moderate chop , hit a wave and landed a bit heavy .. snap went the plastic lock. I took the part to the dealer who has ordered one from Sea Doo ( $80 !!! ). To be honest I would of expected the locks to be stronger.
    So it doesn't happen again I have managed to replace it with a custom metal version, thx to Home Depot ( $6 ) . I'll keep my $85 replacement for when I sell / trade in the boat.

Think I will upgrade the sound system next, the stock one seems on the weak side

We did hit a section with some pretty rough chop but nothing broke or made any funny noises, the grill flew off under less stressful conditions which is odd, maybe it was weakened.

Will these boats spin out like the jetskis, and if so at what speed? Also if you have done this is it violent enough to throw you off the boat? Just curious because I really enjoyed doing 360's on my jetski, the boat is certainly fun but its not quite as tossable as a 1999 GSX LTD, but then again maybe im just not tossing it around at a high enough speed......yet

Also forgot to mention one of my primary reasons for getting this boat in particular is that it fits in my garage, had the 200 been able to fit thats prolly the one I would have gotten, but I really doo enjoy the performance and handling of it. I think I need about 65mph on GPS and ill be finished, now if I can just figure out a way to achieve that inside warranty

Quote Originally Posted by speedsterpimpin View Post
    Will these boats spin out like the jetskis, and if so at what speed? Also if you have done this is it violent enough to throw you off the boat? Just curious because I really enjoyed doing 360's on my jetski, the boat is certainly fun but its not quite as tossable as a 1999 GSX LTD, but then again maybe im just not tossing it around at a high enough speed......yet
    The boats can spin (180*) to a near dead stop at max speed. I've tried just about everything and it can get extremely dangerous in chop. I jumped a wake at a 45 degree angle to the wakeline and hit the next oncoming wave. That was painful. It ejected my wife out of her seat (far left) and straight on to me. We were both testing the waters/limits on the boat since no one had any input on them. (she was cool like that) I know the limits of the boat or should I say I know 'my' safety limits. The boat rides like it's on rails. After the extreme tests and playing around it's easier to have fun in nearly all water conditions. Still being conservative I've already broken 2 handles, but they are designed to break under heavy load. I'd rather them break than compromise the fiberglass they are fastened to.

The 360's are achievable with our boats, but the spin is nothing close to being as fast as the skis. Still fun nevertheless.

-D-

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information