looking to make a CAI

looking to make a CAI for my vx cruiser 2009. if any one has a good setup please let me know thanks in advance

Ive made a few for the vx's over the past decade and here is my take on then....

buy a reusable r & d air filter and keep your air box. you machine will preform much better with it. Itll gain a little on the lower end with a pod, but the top end will suffer. Yami designs those air boxes that size, shape and volume for a reason. remove your ribber filter, free flow exhaust and shim your ride plate, thats about as good as youll get...

Maybe you could build a custom air box that uses the storage bin like the FX skis, but youll loose all your storage and its not worth loosing any carrying capacity for maybe a horsepower or two.

also if your ski ever flips that pod filter, will most likely be the death of your engine.

3. +1 by:

Ive made a few for the vx's over the past couple of years and here is my take on then....

buy a reusable r & d air filter and keep your air box. you machine will preform much better with it. Itll gain a little on the lower end with a pod, but the top end will suffer. Yami designs those air boxes that size, shape and volume for a reason. remove your ribber filter, free flow exhaust and shim your ride plate, thats about as good as youll get...

Maybe you could build a custom air box that uses the storage bin like the FX skis, but youll loose all your storage and its not worth loosing any carrying capacity for maybe a horsepower or two.

also if your ski ever flips that pod filter, will most likely be the death of your engine.

5. +1 by:

ive made 4 styles over the years...

one was a pod filter that strapped directly to the TB

the second was to drop it down a few inches with a 90 and a 90 and a pod filter, it needed a metal strap to secure it from bouncing,

the third was one that angled slighty down and went straight over top of the fuel pump assembly and rested on there. I zip tied it to a bolt but it had to finagle around the steering linkage and what not

the fourth was one that angle down and to the left and sort of rested in the area between the fuel tank the inside of the hull, it was probably the best setup of them all, but still had minimal gains. And always ran the risk of getting water in the engine no matter how it flipped.

Since these were on my rental fleet, i switched back to OEM boxes and have never been happier. Seen a ski upside down floating for over 5 min...be just fiine

7. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by kwtony View Post
    Ive made a few for the vx's over the past decade and here is my take on then....

How would i go about in doing a free flow exhaust and shimming my ride plate already removed the ribbon filter

i think this is 2.5 pvc.....but two coupling ends glued on and hose clamped to a cut exhaust tube...this has been on my rental ski for a little over 300 hours...all my skis got this and they have a modded intake...my skis are the fastest vx's on the water....my 700+ hour 08 ski is actually faster then my 2012...funny huh....

That red line is my flush hose, mounted to the ouside of the hull so we dont have to lift the seat in order to flush. I rarely if ever do it, but i have been lately after the multi day rentals.

to Shim the ride plate you first want to remove the 4 plate bolts, remove the plate and clean the surace areas, youll want to start with 2 washers on the rear two bolts sandwiched in between the ride plate and the hull...dont put any on the front of the plate for the moment just the two rear bolts. two on one side two on the other..mock up in place and then eye ball the bottom of the ski and try to make the metal ride plate as flush as possible with the hull..ideally you are trying to push out the plate and make it perfectly smooth with the fiberglass hull. Once you find the right combo...(.two in the back works for me). you can get 5200 the plate back up...a nice heavy coat on the plates surface will work. Torqque to spec i think it 12 but look at the manual to be sure. Then if you want to get real fancy, an epoxy and resin mix and run a bead of of to seal the ride plate to the hull....

back to sleep..

It frees up sooo much space back there, if i could tig weld, id consider adding custom built fuel tank back there. probably could add 8-9 gallons.. The SHO ski has a metric shit ton of space in the back of the hull once you do a similar mod.

Thread Information