Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

July 4th my unlucky day, broken SUV

Finally have a day off on 4th of July, so we decided to have a day at the lake playing with my SUV. I have no started it since last winter, and after I install the battery and it startup on first try (fresh rebuild last year). So we went to the lake happily.

When on the lake, me and my son jump on and started it and ride arround the lake for like 5 min while the time the SUV feel heavier and heavier. so I told my son to move to the side of the SUV while I check the engine. When I remove the seat I saw water in the engine compartment, it has already cover 1/3 of the engine. we manage to get it to the beach and start scooping the water out. when the compartment is dry, I start the engine again and I can hear leaking from under the exhaust. I use my finger to feel the leak and I can feel a crack on exhaust muffler....... damn...... A good boater ended up trolling the SUV back to the dock for me.

This story tell us it is very important to winterize the jetski the right way........ lesson learned. I will try to post the picture after removing the exhaust.

sorry to hear, guess chalk up to lesson learned....could of been worse

+1
    Tip for you instal a electric bilge pump with a manual on/off switch for just in case things like this happen, A complete kit cost less than $50.00, Tommy Jordan

+1
    Sounds like water was left in the exhaust and it froze. I always clear the water as best I can out of the motor/exhaust and then pump antifreeze through the cooling hoses as part of my winterization routine.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
    Tip for you instal a electric bilge pump with a manual on/off switch for just in case things like this happen, A complete kit cost less than $50.00, Tommy Jordan
    link to a complete bilge pump kit for $50 please....

+1
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Q0Z0H8TR.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	335031yeah this is the first time it happened to me, I get rid of most of the water during winterize at least that is what i think, never put in antifreeze is a big mistake. I guess i will have to put that on the winterize list for next year. By the way I guess I just need to change a new cover for the muffler right?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Q0Z0H8TR.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	335030  
    Last edited by birdgod; 07-06-2014 at 05:01 PM. Reason: change pic

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
    I did some search, didn't see and complete kit under $100, can u give me the link for the bilge. thanks

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    might be repairable if you know a good welder. I'd imagine there are plenty of those around the used market however...

it's brutal easy to inject antifreeze on a Yamaha. a 25 watt light bulb in the hull can also prevent the heartbreak of a freezeup if some water remains.

not sure of a "kit" but a bilge pump, a switch and some wire can surely be gotten for well under a 100, probably under 50

Here is a pump for around 12 bucks plus shipping. Dont know how good it is but it gives you an idea of how cheap you can get them.

http://www.amazon.com/Shoreline-Mari...4698317&sr=1-1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information