+1

Aquiring couple jet skis

There are 2 polaris jet skis that have been abandoned near my house. The shop owner took them in as payment and then he moved to FL and left them. They are on a double trailer and that is my main reason for getting them but I may try to repair the skis if possible. My question is how would I go about registering the skis if I did get them running? I might be able to locate the shop owner but I doubt he even has the paper work for them. I live in NC.

+1
    As a law enforcement officer in Missouri, I have some knowledge of this. The simple answer is the laws are designed so that you can not register them without getting a title release from the person who has them registered in their name. This is to detour theft of motor vehicles and watercraft. In Missouri you would have to register the trailer as well but that varies in state to state.

The only exception is if you get a judge to sign off on a title release which is very difficult in Missouri. You have to have a better explanation than the one you gave, There would have to be a death of the owner or divorce settlement for a judge to become involved.

Your best bet is to find the registered owner of the ski's and trailer and have them sign a title release or give you the title for them. You can contact DOR for the persons name and do some research to locate them.

Understand this is Missouri law so some of what I am telling you vary on your state. Also in Missouri, you must register them within 30 days for the trailer and 60 on the watercraft. If the watercraft or trailer have been reported stolen at some point, you can be charged with receiving of stolen property. (just a fair warning)

So I would check to see if they are stolen and if not, parting them out and selling them is really they only option you have. Maybe use the funds to buy you a watercraft that can be titled in your name.

Best of Luck.

+1
    Varies completely by state, as above mentioned,

in Wisconsin, I dont need a title. all i need is the Hull ID and can reasily register a ski also trailers require no license plates.

+1
    Again, that is Missouri law that I am advising.

However, I'm really surprised that Wisconsin does not require title for registering a hull number. What stops someone from stealing a ski and registering it in your name. I was under the impression that the Coast Guard set the regulations for watercrafts identification. It is a uniform way of tracking hull numbers in bodies of water throughout the continental US.

Just surprised not saying you are wrong.

Banned User
    +1
    Wisconsin does technically require you to have the title from the seller if there is one. In Wisconsin, the registration card is basically the title. As far as I recall boats under 16 feet are not titled in Wisconsin. When you register online they just ask if you have the title or signed registration. You are required to keep this documentation in case it is ever needed however.

6. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Policeman View Post
    Again, that is Missouri law that I am advising.

However, I'm really surprised that Wisconsin does not require title for registering a hull number. What stops someone from stealing a ski and registering it in your name. I was under the impression that the Coast Guard set the regulations for watercrafts identification. It is a uniform way of tracking hull numbers in bodies of water throughout the continental US.

Just surprised not saying you are wrong.
    Here in Maine we do not need a tittle. To register all we need is a bill of sale and hull id, year, make, model. Same with trailer. This applies to boats, pwc, atv, snowmobile. Good luck in NC!!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by davenoscott View Post
    There are 2 polaris jet skis that have been abandoned near my house. The shop owner took them in as payment and then he moved to FL and left them. They are on a double trailer and that is my main reason for getting them

... I might be able to locate the shop owner but I doubt he even has the paper work for them. I live in NC.
    Were these 'abandoned' on private property? If so, they may effectively belong to the current owner of the property.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    Wisconsin does technically require you to have the title from the seller if there is one. In Wisconsin, the registration card is basically the title. As far as I recall boats under 16 feet are not titled in Wisconsin. When you register online they just ask if you have the title or signed registration. You are required to keep this documentation in case it is ever needed however.
    with every ski i have registered, thats going on 6 now I have only had a registration card for one of them, at registration it asks you if you have it or not, if you say no. nothing happens, and the ski can still be registered.
    Last edited by Drkvampire2001; 07-07-2014 at 06:42 AM.

+1
    Don't stick any money into fixing them unless you are sure you can get them registered.

Thread Information