Brick Township, New Jersey, United States

new kawi owner and issue.. did my research

Hey guys just wanted to shoot around some ideas with you..new owner of a 12f rebuilt motor and jet pump....im thinking this guy put in a new block and didnt fix what killed the ski in the first place.

launched for first ride today... rode conservatively till end of no wake zone and then went about two miles around 5000 rpms. came off plane and after about 10 seconds ski died. would not refire almost thought it was battery or bad connections (new agm btw)

floated to shore and got ski home about an hour later, exchanged battery and still just single crank. Looked at dipstick and you could prob already guess oil looked like iced coffee! ran and got oil and suction thing pumped out all the oil and refilled with 4 quarts 10w40. took out plugs and spun motor to evacuate water also and sprayed some fogging oil down inside jugs.
    ok heres where i get stumped, put plugs back in and motor will not turn over, feels hydrolocked still, repeat plugs out and its as if i never cranked it water comes shooting out? repeat twice same issue. Now i start wondering if water is backed up against the exhaust valves and through the whole waterbox system? take my mightyvac and suck about 3 gallons out of exhaust. RE spin it with plugs out this time it is just a very light mist. with plugs in motor cranks over VERY slowly and will not fire.
    so my questions are is there something im missing with getting this thing started? 9 i currently have it on tender thinking maybe battery got low)
    and the root cause of this is it possible its the waterbox is rotted through and allowing cooling water into the exhaust side? i saw a few other threads with some pics of this?

thanks for any of your help....just came over from an old polaris i rebuilt and trying to become a kawi man

+1
    If there is that much water coming out I would bet to say there was engine damage on the bottom end and it's binding up. I certainly hope I am wrong, however if water got in there like that it has to be torn down anyway to find out why....Good luck, been there twice in 10 years with an engine pull on my old ski, not horrible but work none the less..

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue1 View Post
    If there is that much water coming out I would bet to say there was engine damage on the bottom end and it's binding up. I certainly hope I am wrong, however if water got in there like that it has to be torn down anyway to find out why....Good luck, been there twice in 10 years with an engine pull on my old ski, not horrible but work none the less..
    thanks... do you think it would sound like a sewing machine with the plugs out and then be bound up with them in though? it spins over so smooth with the plugs out?

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    starter

Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    starter
    i would think thats not the problem but ill take any advice i can get... why the starter?

+1
    it sure seems low on power when subjected to the load of compression, the engine is turning smoothly with the plugs out, which kinda discounts a major engine problem, and your very first post says the engine and pump were redone.

easy 2 check

get a meter on the battery and check the voltage while standing and cranking.

those numbers will tell us alot

it sure seems low on power when subjected to the load of compression, the engine is turning smoothly with the plugs out, which kinda discounts a major engine problem, and your very first post says the engine and pump were redone.

easy 2 check

get a meter on the battery and check the voltage while standing and cranking.

those numbers will tell us alot
    12.38 static

12.06-12.02 when you hit the start button

this is with the plugs in
    Last edited by cascivic; 07-06-2014 at 07:24 PM. Reason: change

+1
    that's is smaller drop then I expected. I'll wager that one or more starter brushes are bad and that is letting the starter turn, but not generate a whole lot of torque.

I would have expected low to mid 11;s

that's is smaller drop then I expected. I'll wager that one or more starter brushes are bad and that is letting the starter turn, but not generate a whole lot of torque.

I would have expected low to mid 11;s

seems like some coincidence that all this happened and a starter brush went bad at the same time but thanks for the help

+1
    starters tend to be the red herring that costs people a whole lot more then they thought.

I have a pretty long rant on my website about how it's "never just the starter" The guy that built that engine likely didn't think twice about using the same starter. I make a point of cracking iopen the starter on every engine I replace, just to make sure it's in good condition at the brush end.

It doesn't take much to kill a starter..it begins with the one time the starter got overworked and got hot. So hot the waterproof seals fail and moisture can penetrate the housing.

Try an old shop trick..rap the starter with a 1/2 extension and see if it can crank the engine...sometimes a brush needs a little help to make contact..but don't expect it to last more then a few more shots.

and coincidence?..no such thing in the mechanics world. It's always cause and effect

the cost of a starter replacement is small compared to the costs of having an incident out on the water.

do let the the forum members know how you solve this one, as it is a common issue "engine cranks with plugs out, barley turns with plugs in"

Thread Information