Thread: 05 rxp valves

05 rxp valves

So I'm replacing the valves in my 05 rxp for the supertech ones are the stock springs and retainers good to keep I don't plan on rasing the stock limiter anytime soon but will be adding an xcharger and injectors will he stocks hold up

Stock springs and retainers will be fine.

3. +1 by:

+1
    Are you really going to invest all that time and $$$ and trust 9-10 yr old pieces. .???

If it was mine I'd go all new.
    Just my .02

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wotxxxsd View Post
    Are you really going to invest all that time and $$$ and trust 9-10 yr old pieces. .???

If it was mine I'd go all new.
    Just my .02
    +100
    new

+1
    yes there is a big difference in a ski running 8100 vs 8500+
    upgrade those springs and keepers!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by skidoochris View Post
    yes there is a big difference in a ski running 8100 vs 8500+
    upgrade those springs and keepers!
    What he said!!

Sidoochris, seen your from Michigan. Where do you ride at im like 20 min from davison, mi

+1
    Since you're not increasing the rev limiter I would use the stock springs and retainers. I put Supertechs in my 05 GTX and 04 RXP and reused the stock springs and retainers mainly because I have no plans to up the limiter. If you have any future plans to up the rev limiter then now is the time to upgrade.

+1
    You have to remember,even with running stock RPMs that "springs" are just that,a spring...and over time when a spring stays compressed it loses tension...NOW how much tension do these springs lose??i could not tell you as i have never measured them BUT being almost 10 years old i would replace them also along with the valves...NOW this is just me BUT over time shit happens,gets weak and breaks....not a chance im gonna take over a set of 300 dollar springs...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
    You have to remember,even with running stock RPMs that "springs" are just that,a spring...and over time when a spring stays compressed it loses tension...NOW how much tension do these springs lose??i could not tell you as i have never measured them BUT being almost 10 years old i would replace them also along with the valves...NOW this is just me BUT over time shit happens,gets weak and breaks....not a chance im gonna take over a set of 300 dollar springs...

I have a 1982 Honda motorcycle that is still on it's original springs and runs fine. My truck has over 4,000 hours run time and I don't plan on replacing the springs any time soon.

Replacing the springs and retainers is never a bad idea my point is where do you draw the line as to what is needed for reliability vs replacing something to make you feel better ? I fall into the later category on occasion especially with pump and driveline parts.

When I replaced the valves in my machines I used new valve seals and head bolts, not really required but not a great idea to reuse. I also bought new cam sprocket bolts again not required by the manual but cheap insurance in my opinion. If you are going as far as removing the head why not go further and replace the cam chain, since you have to split the cases why not do new bearings and a hone and rings while you're in there ? Where you stop is a personal decision based on how much money you want to spend and what you are planning on using the machine for. In the OP's case with no plans to increase the rpm I would not have a problem using the original springs and retainers.

Thread Information