virage I exhaust bolts

Rebuilt the top end of my virage and did not put on exhaust before I torqued the jugs down. I should have read the posts on here first. After about 5 hours of riding my exhaust manifold started leaking water. I still have around 150 compression on each cylinder so I don't think I hurt the engine. I am going to loosen the jugs and do it the correct way. Can I just loosen the jugs and square them up or do I need to pull and use new gaskets. I also need new bolts as 3 broke the head off. Where is the best place to get replacement bolts? Thanks

+1
    I experienced the same problem. Matter of fact, it was probably my post that you seen. I had to remove the jug (mag) and have the bolts tapped out by a mechanic friend. I would suspect that the pros on here will tell you to replace the gaskets as I did when you remove it.
    Now here is the trick... That jug bolt in the center facing the exhaust - you can't get a socket on it. So I had to put the jug on (not tight), then put the exhaust on tight. You will torque down the three jug bolts that will take a socket and remove the exhaust manifold. Then you will tighten down the bolt on the exhaust facing center bolt. After that, you are ready to put the rest back together.

That was my experience anyway on a Polaris Virage 700 engine. There were extra exhaust bolt on ebay and some of the fellas on here offered to sell me some as well. DOlson was one of the guys who had extra I believe.

Good luck.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Policeman View Post
    I experienced the same problem. Matter of fact, it was probably my post that you seen. I had to remove the jug (mag) and have the bolts tapped out by a mechanic friend. I would suspect that the pros on here will tell you to replace the gaskets as I did when you remove it.
    Now here is the trick... That jug bolt in the center facing the exhaust - you can't get a socket on it. So I had to put the jug on (not tight), then put the exhaust on tight. You will torque down the three jug bolts that will take a socket and remove the exhaust manifold. Then you will tighten down the bolt on the exhaust facing center bolt. After that, you are ready to put the rest back together.

That was my experience anyway on a Polaris Virage 700 engine. There were extra exhaust bolt on ebay and some of the fellas on here offered to sell me some as well. DOlson was one of the guys who had extra I believe.

Good luck.

That is exactly what you need to do. There are cylinder base nuts you can't reach with the manifold on. Tighten down the ones you can reach and then pull the manifold off. The cylinders will be properly positioned. Then torque the base nuts. In the excitement to get a new engine assembled, this step is easy to forget/overlook.

Thread Information