First ski FX HO vs SHO

Been thinking about a ski for a while and I Think the FX HO and SHO are what I've narrowed it down to. A local dealer has a 2010 with 342 hours on it - that's a lot and I should pass right? Are any years better than others? Is the HO more reliable since it has no supercharger?

had a pair of 1.8 FX HO cruisers and i loved the skis.they are extremely hard to find now a days but if you can still get your hands on one they are awesome skis.i would look into 09 - 11 and under 200hrs

3. +1 by:

+1
    My kid has an FX 1000G (140hp engine) '08 with over three hundred hours and still runs like new. I have a 2012 FX HO with over a hundred hours so to me, as long as it was properly maintained and the price is right I'd at least look at it. At least you know the thing wasn't sitting around.

5. +1 by:

+1
    you cant go wrong either way, it just depends if you want to mod or care more about reliability and fuel consumption. As stated above as long as they are taken care of you should be good. If i was buying used i would look for something around the 100 to 200 hr mark

+1
    I was in a similar predicament that you are in now about two months ago. I decided to go with a 2009 fx sho. Being my first ski, I was leery about buying a ski with a supercharger. Their is an ample amount of information on this site in terms of maintaing the supercharger and the ski itself. Having no experience on the HO, I will tell you that the SHO is fast and stable. I have no problem riding with one or two more people on the back through the choppy waters where I live. If your patient you can snag one for a good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan15 View Post
    I was in a similar predicament that you are in now about two months ago. I decided to go with a 2009 fx sho. Being my first ski, I was leery about buying a ski with a supercharger. Their is an ample amount of information on this site in terms of maintaing the supercharger and the ski itself. Having no experience on the HO, I will tell you that the SHO is fast and stable. I have no problem riding with one or two more people on the back through the choppy waters where I live. If your patient you can snag one for a good deal.
    Thanks! yeah, just missed out on a sweet 2009 not too far away. Prices seem to vary A LOT on used ones.

+1
    I was in a similar situation a few years back. I just decided to get whatever "great" deal came up first. Ended up buying a SHO in mid February. It was a bit of a gamble since it's hard to water test on ice, but it has never given me any issues. Love it. I don't think a supercharged is any harder to ride and does offer you more options should you decide to mod later on. You do lose gas mileage of you run WOT or close to it, but if you get a good enough deal on it, the deal can pay for a lot of gas. Lastly, there is potential for more maintenance on a supercharged machine. I guess that's the chance you take. I think Yamaha's setup is pretty reliable as long as you keep it stock. It's hard to beat the acceleration of the supercharged machines. For me, it's been worth it, but I could have just as easily gotten an HO and been happy with it.

I used to own 09 FXSHO with 118hrs on it with the original clutches! No Problems at all! Just did all maintenance as the service manual said! I sold my fxsho few months ago.

Thread Information