Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Starting to question the value of CanDoo/BUDS - no codes

So, my 2009 GTI 130 SE never alarmed when an errant valve keeper found its way to the scavenger oil pump and caused havoc there. Have rebuilt everything and the ski runs great except for a random beep every once in awhile...happens at any RPM in any condition and nothing ever shows on the display and no limp mode are anything like that.

Read it with my CanDoo Pro and no error codes are found.

I did find the top wire loose on the starter solenoid and did see a "low voltage" message a couple times on the lake like shortly after restarting the ski but it did not coincide directly with the beeps. Need to test again after tightening that up.

Oil and antifreeze levels look good as well as min/max values and last 60 seconds on CanDoo.

Any other ideas on what the random single beep could mean without a fault code logged?

Thanks to all who helped answer my other questions on the damage and the engine R&R! This site was a huge help.
    Last edited by EXTremist; 07-06-2014 at 10:48 AM.

+1
    low voltage, check battery then the grounds on the front of the motor

Battery is new Deka AGM 30L and grounds are clean and tight. Just got the engine in yesterday and rechecked them. Like I said, I found one loose connection on the solenoid, otherwise everything looks really solid so far.

Thanks.

+1
    My question is why do you question the value of the Candoo/BUDs system???It can only read the codes your ski si throwing .....if the ski does not throw any codes, then how are these systems suppost to read anything????

As for your beeps???Try checking these to see if any of these help:

Watercraft is upside down. Turn watercraft upright. If it does not
    work, check the TOPS switch. Refer to
    ENGINE MANAGEMENT section.
    • Engine coolant temperature sensor or
    circuit malfunction.
    Refer to ENGINE MANAGEMENT section.
    • Exhaust temperature sensor or circuit
    malfunction.
    • Engine oil pressure sensor or circuit
    malfunction.
    • Out of range pressure in oil separator
    tank (engine oil leak).
    • TOPS sensor or circuit malfunction. Refer to ENGINE MANAGEMENT section.
    • TOPS valve solenoid or circuit
    malfunction.
    • Starter solenoid circuit malfunction. Refer to ENGINE MANAGEMENT section.
    • Communication link fault detected by
    MPEM.
    • ECM communication link message
    missing (detected by MPEM).
    • Information center communication
    link message missing (detected by
    MPEM).
    2 seconds beep every 1
    minute interval.
    • Bilge pump circuit low or high voltage

5. +1 by:

You are correct Snoman - I meant more of my purchase of it since I have had several issues and yet to read a code of any value through the system. I expect more sophistication from SeaDoo in that if there is a reason to beep the sounder, the ski should log the reason. The list you post is a perfect example...there is so much stuff there it would be next to impossible to check all that given I have to trailer to the lake to test after every/any change. It gives me some ideas but pretty basic troubleshooting ideas really.

I guess my point is more that anyone buying the HW/SW expecting their ski to log codes when the sounder goes off should realize its just not there for many conditions.

Programming my own keys is "fun" but beyond that, I personally have not seen much value from it. The one thing I haven't done it take it to the lake with the ski strapped down on the trailer and monitored the engine while it is running...even then the CanDoo engine monitor looks rather limited to me but maybe I'm missing something.

"Starter solenoid circuit malfunction. Refer to ENGINE MANAGEMENT section."

This is an interesting one from the list though as I did find a loose wire right there already. Thanks!

+1
    The software is just another tool in the box. It is not an end all, be all.

But it with the service manual gives you 99% of what you need to fix your own stuff. Sometimes not having a code is just as important as having one. All clues.

9. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by EXTremist View Post
    So, my 2009 GTI 130 SE never alarmed when an errant valve keeper found its way to the scavenger oil pump and caused havoc there. Have rebuilt everything and the ski runs great except for a random beep every once in awhile...happens at any RPM in any condition and nothing ever shows on the display and no limp mode are anything like that.

Read it with my CanDoo Pro and no error codes are found.

I did find the top wire loose on the starter solenoid and did see a "low voltage" message a couple times on the lake like shortly after restarting the ski but it did not coincide directly with the beeps. Need to test again after tightening that up.

Oil and antifreeze levels look good as well as min/max values and last 60 seconds on CanDoo.

Any other ideas on what the random single beep could mean without a fault code logged?

Thanks to all who helped answer my other questions on the damage and the engine R&R! This site was a huge help.
    I have EXACTLY the same. I cannot predict when it will happen, but just one beep no codes and error message. Candoo sees nothing either. I have DEKA AGM also.

At first I thought it was a squeek from my suspension. Then I thought low fuel, although my fuel wasn't low, thought float was over sensitive.

Never have found it and put it down to random beep. Sure if it was anything serious then a code would throw.

Please, please post up if you ever figure it out.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    tools are not the solution in a large number of cases. Experience and logical thinking are.

Nice to have your hunch confirmed by a code reader, better to have a hunch in the first place.

I'd be wondering what might be causing a 12v low message..and how stray a/c could spike the skis ecu into throwing a fault condition alert when there is no code to send along behind it.

that might get me to measure the ac voltage across the battery to see if any is present. A leaky diode might be the culprit

If the beep is bothersome..when no codes and no fault conditions are appearing, then throwing a regulator at it could be an interesting experiment

Dennis from Candoo would know more about how the Seadoo alert system actually sends data to the console then I do, but I imagine a signal is sent to turn on the warning light, then following that would be the code that translates to the display message ( which you now see that the red lamp caught your eye)

Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    tools are not the solution in a large number of cases. Experience and logical thinking are.

Nice to have your hunch confirmed by a code reader, better to have a hunch in the first place.

I'd be wondering what might be causing a 12v low message..and how stray a/c could spike the skis ecu into throwing a fault condition alert when there is no code to send along behind it.

that might get me to measure the ac voltage across the battery to see if any is present. A leaky diode might be the culprit

If the beep is bothersome..when no codes and no fault conditions are appearing, then throwing a regulator at it could be an interesting experiment

Dennis from Candoo would know more about how the Seadoo alert system actually sends data to the console then I do, but I imagine a signal is sent to turn on the warning light, then following that would be the code that translates to the display message ( which you now see that the red lamp caught your eye)
    No "red lamp" caught my eye...when the beep goes off there is no indication anywhere on the machine. I saw the message "low volt" on the display after shutting off in the water for a bit and restarting the machine like after the starter engaged for the split second it takes to start. There is no correlation to the beep otherwise...other than I happened to see/hear it on the same day at different times.

I'm not asking the tool to fix my ski - wow a lot of sensitivity over an opinion of the cost of said tool vs. the value I have personally experienced. I have plenty of tools I have paid a lot of money for (way more than this one) and have only ever used them once or twice...feel the same about some of them too.

When the pressure sensor went bad on my other ski and the beep was constant with "OIL" displayed on the message no error code was captured either so that was pretty much trial and error although this site helped narrow that down to replacing a $30 dollar sensor as a good first choice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information