Question 1996 SL780 Ignition Problems / General Elect...

Hello, I purchased a 1996 SL780 with a bad motor, I bought a new Fiji blue motor for it which wasn’t to hard to install. I put the magneto in the same spot where the washers had worn in a little on the metal. Everything is currently installed minus the drive components, I still have to center the engine, I just ran into some problems. First off I had to cut the wires going into the Ignition box because I couldn’t remove the harness through the very small hole on the old engine I had already separated the two halves of the box "which supposedly ran great" I soldered everything nicely back together and reinstalled the box which the wire are labeled and is pretty self explanatory. BUT After replacing the battery and testing it out I have no spark? Also the tether doesn’t have to be in to turn the engine over, so I know something’s messed up somewhere... There are a couple wires that looked correct but may be in the wrong spots im honestly not 100%. I’ve tested the tether switch and it's working properly so idk I guess. I'm a mechanic but suck with small electrical stuff like this. Ill post some pictures if I can figure out how to do so. Thanks any help is greatly appreciated.

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk!

I have never had a 780 so cant comment on all of these things, but the engine WILL still Crank. with out the tether in, it will not start, as thats what the kill switch does, removes spark, but it will infact still crank.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	#1.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	335001Click image for larger version. 

Name:	#2.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	335002Click image for larger version. 

Name:	#3.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	77.4 KB 
ID:	335003Here are some pictures it seems to have way more wires than the others i've found like it, the Red/white seems to have no home lol and the Orange wire doesnt seem to go anywhere either. Thanks
    Last edited by Jabkes65; 07-06-2014 at 04:41 PM.

Awesome I appreciate the response. That’s one step in the right direction, It may be the CDI or Magneto but I still have to verify the wires to correctly test that stuff. Also is the display suppose to turn off, mines always on so I disconnected the battery so it's not drawn down know it's a very low amperage but i also wasnt sure on the wiring so just playing it safe. Thanks again for your response.

+1
    The digital display also referred to as MFD. Will go into a low power consumption mode that will show the clock 5 minutes after it does not sense Rpms on the yellow wire. This draws very little power and will not drain the battery. But the mfds are easily damaged electronically and it's not a bad idea while you are trouble shooting wiring and power to disconnect the mfd this can simple be done by Unplugging the connector from the back of the mfd itself. Hooking up a battery is the number 1 thing that frys the mfd.

check out this thread if you haven't already http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15438

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by waterdog1971 View Post
    check out this thread if you haven't already http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15438
    For MFD repairs there are updated threads since that original. Christian did some good work there, no doubt. We have just learned some more tricks since then

See the MFD section from my signature links.

+1
    The red white looks to be the red purple feeding the start button. If its grouped with a yellow red, then it is and should be connected with the other red/purple wires.

Everything else in the box looks factory except the butt connector.......

+1
    Did you test the magneto before re-installing to make sure the readings are within spec? The motor should start with nothing but the magneto, CDI, coils, and start button wired up. All of the other wires are essentially ancillary in function.

i put the red/white on the red/white tabs in the electrical box, and had the same problem you are having. that wire is actually red purple and goes to the centre red/purple tabs. I will take a look at my notes at my office to make sure thats what i had wrong, but im pretty sure that was it.....that wire is your start button power supply i believe.
    hope my error helps you fix yours....good luck

Thread Information