Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2002 Virage Txi - TPS?? Couple weird issues here not starting and running rough

OK I now have a pair of 2002 Virage Txi's when running they are amazing. The one I started with would not start one day out on the water after running no issues to the cove to meet my buddy on his boat. After getting out there I turned off the engine with the start/stop button and then became non responsive. The solenoid was making a buzzing noise and was the older style that is said on the forum to be older and not as good. I proceeded to replace it with the all black plastic one. That machine ran fine again for a while then did it again. Both times I was able to jump the solenoid with screwdriver and press start button and it would turn over then start normally after that...??? Is something causing that that I don't know about? This same problem happened on the newer Txi after running great with no issues after first getting the machine the next time I took it out it ran really rough shut off at idle a bunch, then wouldn't respond and i had to jump solenoid (not sure if I shouldn't do that) and then would idle and run a little randomly cutting out and would not idle normally had to open throttle slightly to keep running. Took that one back home tried to check pressure seemed right replaced plugs and brought back out. Same running rough. I stayed on the water for a while until the other one decided not to start at all again. (no response from start button but buzzing solenoid) So I towed it back in with the rough running machine and it after the short tow decided it was happy again too. So I guess my questions are What could be making the machines not want to start? second does it make sense the tps could make it run rough then change its mind after running a while? Where do I put leads to check voltage at injectors? Is that even something that makes sense?
    Thanks in advance to all those willing to help.
    Last edited by K447; 07-18-2014 at 09:38 PM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Buzzing solenoid suggests the engine ground end of the black battery cable may have issues. Remove and clean both ends of both battery cables, and clean the engine ground point and the grounding bolt. All clean metal to metal contact between cable and engine block.

If the solenoid still buzzes, something has a bad connection. The Start circuit is fairly simple. Unplug and bypass the LR-503 module for testing. You can also unplug and bypass the MFI display. This reduces the start circuit to just the Start button, the solenoid, and the wiring.

A TPS that is failing can cause all kinds of weird symptoms, and certainly it can be happy one day, or one minute, and unhappy the next.

For ease of diagnosis, it is better to maintain separate threads for separate machines, even if they are sharing some symptoms. Or at least identify the cleRly, such as red or blue, or whatever.

OK I'll stick with just one machine here on this thread let's focus in the rough running occasionally txi. How do I ensure it is the tps before buying one for 120$ I imagine there is some type of test.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by calarco3 View Post
    ... How do I ensure it is the tps before buying one for 120$ ?

I imagine there is some type of test.
    The only valid test is to install a new or known good TPS.

Testing a TPS with a meter and test rig can reveal a completely bad TPS but the bench testing cannot prove a given TPS is 'good'.

Often a TPS can seem ok when tested by itself but the same TPS on a vibrating, hot, running engine may send incorrect signals to the EMM.

Having a spare TPS on hand is a good thing. When a TPS goes bad there is no working around the problem. The engine simply will not run properly unless it has a good TPS installed.

OK I'll order one right away thanks for all your help. I'll be donating to your cause.

+1
    OK I'll order one right away thanks for all your help. I'll be donating to your cause.
    Thanks!

One more question. If I unplug TPS should the motor run at all? If it still does same rough running without TPS at idle does that indicate another issue?

+1
    ... If I unplug TPS should the motor run at all?

If it still does same rough running without TPS at idle does that indicate another issue?
    With TPS unplugged the Ficht engine should start and idle smoothly. It will not respond to throttle.

Some EMM do not allow the engine to start and idle without a TPS connected, but most seem to. I am not aware of a pattern or version for the EMM that will not idle without a TPS.

So without TPS idle is still rough and obviously no response to throttle. Starting to seem like fuel pressure must be low. Does it make sense that after "warming up" fuel pressure could get better? My injectors are getting 22ish when cranking 44-45 when trying to run. Does this not eliminate the EMM?

Banned User
    +1
    Do you have the correct spark plugs in it? NGK PZFR6H only. Have you tried replacing them? These DI motors do not run well with bad plugs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information