Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

5hr SVHO FZR impression

Other then a couple gripes, intercooler divider dislodged and steering off. Both corrected by me. So far I'm impressed. The intake grate works purty darn good, but will be rubbed on. The sponsons hook good in high speed turns. I can feel them bite into the water and produce that grunt in my backside. I changed out the VTS cam. This thing doesn't need Hawker Harrier nozzle deflection. Just a few degrees is all it needs to make it shine. I'm thinking Riva had a few words with Yamaha about the speed limiter,money making proposition for both parties. Why else would only the speed machines receive a limiter? Because they know we would fork out money to go faster. I like the white face gauges over my wife's now 13 FZS. Seems easier to read. But like all PWC speedos it's fairly accurate below 40mph. I would rather see a temp or boost reading over voltage any day. Best speed I got out of this FZR so far was 69mph on GPS. Water, air temp low 80s and overcast skies on fresh water. But when it comes down to the skinny...I'm still running around 40mph waiting on my wife because she likes running her FZS in the learn mode.

+1
    +1 on the display, love the deep gauges but wish there was more info in the digital screen. I found the water temperature a very handy option with the seadoo, and some of the data logging really cool on my Polaris (top speed,max rpm)

+1
    Exactly.

+1
    Hi Kidd, did you have to adjust a left bias on the handlebars when you did the steering? I've found a need to do this on all three hulls as the steering cable (I think) compresses with use. Just wondered, if that was the direction, how many turns out you unscrewed from the ball joint?

The reason I ask is I've always been a bit cautious about leaving too few threads inside the linkage. I think from the factory there is usually about ten turns, I try not to go below six, wondering about what others find and/or think... I'm actually thinking about a quick stainless weld of the locknut on the end of the link, then another locknut, to effectively make the threaded portion longer to compensate.

Of course, if you adjusted the other way, disregard!

ps My initial impressions similar though possibly less of a difference going from FX to FX hull, biggest difference is grate/plate/nozzle combo improvement from SHO, much nicer in carve turns and better set on the hull in a straight line.

+1
    I backed off the ball joint at the nozzle a few turns. From a little info I've read on a GP1200 it stated a minimum of 8mm of thread insertion. Still needs more. I'll adjust it from the other end.

+1
    Ah ha... didn't know you could do that...

+1
    Yep. I just readjusted the rod end. Before doing any adjustments. Loosen the jam nut but don't back it way off. Unscrew the rod end to confirm how far it's threaded on. Mine was 5/8",11 turns. I then screwed the rod end back on, 11 turns. Then backed it off 3 turns. locked down the jam nut. Hopefully that will center the bars.

+1
    Many thanks!

chrs jc

+1
    Oh... If i held the bar straight the ski would turn to the right. Lengthen the rod to correct, shorten if it turns to the left.

+1
    Yeah, had that bit figured out, but tnx... The issue I've had is that over about the first 20 hrs I think the cable compression would slowly create the situation you described above. If left long enough it was not just irritating but would actually limit turning to the left. I keep tweaking it until about that 20 hour point after which the cable or whatever has set in, and then it's sorted. Have had to do it on all three of them, it's just a normal rigging issue.

I was never sure about the other end but never had to time to dig under there for answer. Tnx again for info, as you read, length of thread remaining was always a concern, hence was about to create an extension for the ball linkage... other option is better, nothing wrong with my welding that a four year apprenticeship wouldn't fix!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information