Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Supercharger bearings or whole rebuild kit?

2010 RXTX260.

Did some searching and couldn't find a clear answer to this:

Charger replaced under warranty at 40 hours because inside bearing went. Was making a growling noise didn't grenade and destroy the engine. Removed the charger and found extreme play in the bearing.

About 100 hours on the ski now and have heard a slight tick and minor surge at idle. Pinpointed noise to the supercharger so removed it. Normal bearing play but the shaft will move in and out slightly. Removed x-charger from my 04 and same bearing play but no in and out movement on the shaft. Installed charger from the 04 in the 10 and the tick is gone. Came to the conclusion that there is an issue with the supercharger again.

The question is, could I get away with just replacing the bearings and maybe the gear and not have to get the whole rebuild kit? I have never had a charger apart so not sure what else is in there other than the bearings that can fail like this I have a new Viton seal and set of 08+ washers already.

+1
    You can replace the bearings BUT the shaft is scored once a bearing is pressed onto it. If you can't rebuild the whole charger yourself then it's beat to send to jerry for a complete rebuild. Do it right the first time if not I'd hate to see a bearing failure because new bearings were installed on an old shaft. Like I said I've done it but it's just best to install a whole new kit for cheap insurance

4. +1 by:

+1
    its not a job for a rookie
    and you need special tools
    last the shaft may need replacing

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    complete rebuild or use your cash to light cigars.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by stickshift69 View Post
    2010 RXTX260.

Did some searching and couldn't find a clear answer to this:

Charger replaced under warranty at 40 hours because inside bearing went. Was making a growling noise didn't grenade and destroy the engine. Removed the charger and found extreme play in the bearing.

About 100 hours on the ski now and have heard a slight tick and minor surge at idle. Pinpointed noise to the supercharger so removed it. Normal bearing play but the shaft will move in and out slightly. Removed x-charger from my 04 and same bearing play but no in and out movement on the shaft. Installed charger from the 04 in the 10 and the tick is gone. Came to the conclusion that there is an issue with the supercharger again.

The question is, could I get away with just replacing the bearings and maybe the gear and not have to get the whole rebuild kit? I have never had a charger apart so not sure what else is in there other than the bearings that can fail like this I have a new Viton seal and set of 08+ washers already.
    Ok, so the replacement charger has 60 hours on it?

Yes, just the bearings and seal can be replaced. The shaft, gear, needle bearings, clutches, and spring washers need to be inspected closely, and the slip reset. However, all the work is the same as when doing a complete rebuild.

That said, and your no experience, spend the $400 on Jerry's S/Cer rebuilding service.

+1
    $400 is nothing compared to the cost of failure. Just rebuild it. There are things to cheap out on, SC is not one of them.

+1
    You have 60 hours into the charger already,I would rebuild the complete charger seeing that this is something that you do not have the tools and it is not an an easy job for someone new to the Scer....The new kits now also come with metal washers and viton seals so you would have nothing more to buy but just the kit...

Yes its the replacement with 60 hours that's gone. I have all the tools and have done many seals and slip sets, just never went the extra step and done a rebuild. Mechanic by trade so something new to learn. I have no problem doing the complete rebuild but don't want to do what isn't necessary.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by stickshift69 View Post
    Yes its the replacement with 60 hours that's gone. I have all the tools and have done many seals and slip sets, just never went the extra step and done a rebuild. Mechanic by trade so something new to learn. I have no problem doing the complete rebuild but don't want to do what isn't necessary.
    For peace of mind, a complete rebuild is the better choice.

12. +1 by:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information