Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question New Here, About To Pick Up A 1996 Polaris 750 SL; Have A Few Questions

Hey Guys,

New here and I thought I would join up on one of these forums since I'm about to get a jet ski for the first time today. This would be my first one and so I wanted to start out with something that was something I could afford, came with a trailer, was in good clean sounds condition and something I could build off of. Hull looks good no interior water damage, paint is in pretty good shape, digital dashboard all works great, started on out of water on first two tries (ran for about 20 seconds each time or so, not very long)

Some quick hits about the Jet Ski:

-1996 Polaris
    -Model 750 SL
    -Owners 2 (one older lady who never rode it much then a younger man about 30 drove it less then 8 times in 5 years, just didn't have the time for it).

Work done:
    -New wires, plugs, filters all new, new battery, custom made kill switch to disconnect the battery supply after use so the PWC doesn't drain the battery while sitting (operated with a turn key under the seat).

What I know about this ski:
    -3 cylinder
    -Oil and Gas have separated tanks and then the jet ski self mixes the two together. Gas used is regular unleaded non-ethanol brand. Oil used is marine oil, is it 2w from what I've read
    -Checked plugs they look good, plug wires look good as well (even though he said it was new I checked it all out)

Things I got:
    - Riding glasses for eye protection went with the BIRDZ GULL jet ski waterproof floating glasses
    - Gloves I got the Thor Spectrum 2014 gloves seem to have a great use on a jet ski
    - Life Jacket
    - Anchor
    - Cover
    - Trailer

Few Question:
    -Should I change out the oil prior to my first ride?
    -I know I need to insure the jet ski, license it in the state of Nebraska; anything else?
    -Owner says I don't need to register the trailer since it is under a certain weight is this true in Nebraska?

I noticed it smoked on the two starts, did a quick google search and it seems all two strokes smoke alot especially since the oil and gas do a self mix.

Here is a link to the Jet Ski in question:

https://lincoln.craigslist.org/boa/4541527766.html

Thanks guys I am happy to be here!

Devin

+1
    Welcome Devin!
    What color are your fuel Lines? That is an SLX 780 nice little ski! Fuel system being is old as the ski is can be a weak point.
    Click on the links (below) for more information than you want to know.
    I used the Polaris "Blue" semi synthetic and premium fuel. If you can get non ethanol all the better. Have fun!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Many of your question can be answered via my signature links. Read through the info for new owners, and go from there.

These engines slowly burn the oil as the engine runs, so you add oil as needed to the tank, but there is no need to 'change the oil' unless you suspect the wrong oil is in the tank or the oil may be contaminated in some way.

You want to use a high quality 2-stroke oil. The absolute minimum oil specification is TCW3, but that is actually an old outboard engine oil spec and there are much higher oil grades available now. As an example, I use the Legend brand ZXR2 oil.

There are many opinions on 2-stroke oils. Find a good quality oil that you can trust and use it.

The most important thing is to ensure the oil hoses and clamps are in good condition. Your oil pump is variable rate so it adjusts the amount of oil pumped into the engine depending on how hard you are squeezing the throttle. Once you get it running properly and warmed up there should be minimal exhaust smoke.

Non-ethanol gasoline you can run 87 octane grade.

The stock watercraft should not drain the battery while sitting, even for months. The MFD display uses very little power while showing the clock. The display switches to sleep mode after five minutes of no activity.

The main thing is to use a quality battery. My recommendation is a sealed AGM type battery, in particular the Deka made battery, size ETX16. This is sold under the Deka label and also under a number of other brand names.

By far the biggest questions will be regarding current engine condition and carburetor condition. Check cylinder compression. All spark plugs out, throttle help wide open. All cylinders should measure within 5% of each other.

These engines are sensitive to degradation of the fuel system and absolutely require the carburetors to be internally clean.

Unless you can be certain the carburetors have been properly rebuilt in recent memory, I suggest you consider rebuilding the carburetors now, before you go riding. If any of the carburetors has clogged internal passages or gummed up internal fuel filter (each carb has a tiny filter inside) then the resulting lean fuel delivery can melt a hole through a piston in short order. Since you are new to this machine you may not even know that the engine is running lean, right up until the moment when the piston fails. Lean burn can damage a piston in minutes, given the right conditions.

Can't see my signature links?
    Click here and turn on all three Thread Display Option checkboxes
    Show Signatures
    Show Avatars
    Show Images (including attached images and images in [IMG] code)

Quote Originally Posted by LaveyT View Post
    Welcome Devin!
    What color are your fuel Lines? That is an SLX 780 nice little ski! Fuel system being is old as the ski is can be a weak point.
    Click on the links (below) for more information than you want to know.
    I used the Polaris "Blue" semi synthetic and premium fuel. If you can get non ethanol all the better. Have fun!
    Lavey thanks for the response, well 780 SLX is even better. I heard that replacing the fuel lines and to use a triple pump is the best upgrade one can do on these things? I checked the fuel lines however, seemed in good condition, always stored inside; nothing leaked on the inside hull all looked sound. So you used Polaris semi syn Blue marine oil and premium fuel, perfect thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Welcome

Many of your question can be answered via my signature links. Read through the info for new owners, and go from there.

These engines slowly burn the oil as the engine runs, so you add oil as needed to the tank, but there is no need to 'change the oil' unless you suspect the wrong oil is in the tank or the oil may be contaminated in some way.

You want to use a high quality 2-stroke oil. The absolute minimum oil specification is TCW3, but that is actually an old outboard engine oil spec and there are much higher oil grades available now. As an example, I use the Legend brand ZXR2 oil.

There are many opinions on 2-stroke oils. Find a good quality oil that you can trust and use it.

The most important thing is to ensure the oil hoses and clamps are in good condition. Your oil pump is variable rate so it adjusts the amount of oil pumped into the engine depending on how hard you are squeezing the throttle. Once you get it running properly and warmed up there should be minimal exhaust smoke.

Non-ethanol gasoline you can run 87 octane grade.

The stock watercraft should not drain the battery while sitting, even for months. The MFD display uses very little power while showing the clock. The display switches to sleep mode after five minutes of no activity.

The main thing is to use a quality battery. My recommendation is a sealed AGM type battery, in particular the Deka made battery, size ETX16. This is sold under the Deka label and also under a number of other brand names.

By far the biggest questions will be regarding current engine condition and carburetor condition. Check cylinder compression. All spark plugs out, throttle help wide open. All cylinders should measure within 5% of each other.

These engines are sensitive to degradation of the fuel system and absolutely require the carburetors to be internally clean.

Unless you can be certain the carburetors have been properly rebuilt in recent memory, I suggest you consider rebuilding the carburetors now, before you go riding. If any of the carburetors has clogged internal passages or gummed up internal fuel filter (each carb has a tiny filter inside) then the resulting lean fuel delivery can melt a hole through a piston in short order. Since you are new to this machine you may not even know that the engine is running lean, right up until the moment when the piston fails. Lean burn can damage a piston in minutes, given the right conditions.

Can't see my signature links?
    Click here and turn on all three Thread Display Option checkboxes
    Show Signatures
    Show Avatars
    Show Images (including attached images and images in [IMG] code)
    Thanks for the reply. When this battery dies or sometime this winter storage season I will most for sure get that battery, how much does a carb rebuild kit cost. I'm fairly good with cars but never worked on anything carbed, what kind of price am I looking at for the kit and repair through a water marine mechanic.

So major things to test:

- Engine Compression of each cylinder (within 5% of each other)
    - Carbs cleaned for sure and rebuilt (if necessary)
    - Replace fuel lines sometime (probably this winter when I store it?)
    - Deka Battery (after this one dies)
    - Good premium 2 stroke oil and add as needed
    - Premium gas

+1
    If the original gray Tempo brand fuel hoses are still installed, they should be changed out right away. And the carburetors cleaned and rebuilt at the same time, along with a new fuel selector valve.

John Zigler is an excellent source for Polaris carburetor rebuilt kits, along with just about anything else you may need.

This is peak busy season, of course, so having someone rebuild your carburetors for you may take some time. It is not that hard to rebuild your own carburetors. Once you have read up on the process and done them once, it will not seem so difficult.

The key point is that it is not advisable to defer servicing the fuel system. Any machine that has been sitting for a few years almost certainly needs the carbs cleaned. And cleaning means rebuilding with genuine OEM rebuild parts.

If the original gray Tempo brand fuel hoses are still installed, they should be changed out right away. And the carburetors cleaned and rebuilt at the same time, along with a new fuel selector valve.

John Zigler is an excellent source for Polaris carburetor rebuilt kits, along with just about anything else you may need.

This is peak busy season, of course, so having someone rebuild your carburetors for you may take some time. It is not that hard to rebuild your own carburetors. Once you have read up on the process and done them once, it will not seem so difficult.

The key point is that it is not advisable to defer servicing the fuel system. Any machine that has been sitting for a few years almost certainly needs the carbs cleaned. And cleaning means rebuilding with genuine OEM rebuild parts.
    Thank you. Ok I picked up a gallon of Polaris VES Gold Full Synthetic 2 cycle oil got it for 45$ shipped. Now I'm on the look out for the new fuel hose kit, any direction or specific kits you suggest. I really want to atleast try the ski out on the water to get a feel for it, I'm far from one of those kids that will beat on it. I got the oil on the way, insurance will be done tomorrow as well as licensing. If I order the fuel kit soon enough I could replace them fairly quickly before this weekend.

Things I would like to do this week: New fuel hoses, new fuel selector valve. Looked up and those don't seem to hard to replace. Then it would be onto the carbs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-X-1-4-FUE...675c17&vxp=mtr

This the correct fuel line? Would you suggest something like this or different. Regular small hose clamps ok to use?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dmueller9834 View Post

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-X-1-4-FUEL-LINE-BLUE-POLARIS-SEADOO-KAWASAKI-YAMAHA-CYCLE-GO-KART-JET-SKI-/151337262103?pt=Race_Car_Parts&hash=item233c675c17 &vxp=mtr

This the correct fuel line? Would you suggest something like this or different. Regular small hose clamps ok to use?
    Some guys use that sort of fuel hose. I am not a fan of the clear non-reinforced fuel hose.

Regular automotive rubber reinforced fuel hose works quite well. Officially there is marine grade rated fuel hose, specs can be found via my signature links. I know there is a lot to read in there, it tales some time to digest all the info.

I prefer the Oetiker type stepless gapless ear clamps over the traditional gear type hose clamps.

Gear clamps can crush the thin hose and sometimes the hose also distorts under the clamp and allows small wrinkles that don't seal properly. Making the clamp tighter does not make it better in this regard.

On the thicker rubber fuel hose the gear clamps aren't so bad. Again I still prefer the crimp on ear clamps as they stay snug even under vibration and will not loosen over time.

+1
    You will need about 20' of line. You should look at rebuilding the fuel pump, as the 780s already have the triple outlet pump. Carb rebuild kits are around $165 shipped for all three kits from www.watcon.com. The fuel pump kit is around $20. Look for a Mikuni DF-62 rebuild kit like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mikuni-FUEL-...8171f1&vxp=mtr. Use all Genuine Mikuni parts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information