300x Dipstick Oil Level Clarification

Ok I check my oil cold and with the dipstick loop pointing to the port side (left side) the cold reading appears to show above the range grid for the cold reading. I check the other side of the dipstick and it shows significantly lower than the other side of the dipstick. I put the dipstick back in, this time with the dipstick ring pointing towards the starboard side (right side) and take it out and the cold reading shows right at the high point of the grid reading and looks to be at the correct level since it is just at the grid high mark. I turn the dipstick over and it shows significantly higher.

So what reading is the accurate reading? Why am I getting different readings on the dipstick cold reading depending on which way the ring faces? It obviously is not the "plunger effect" that has been discussed as i do not have a low reading and never have had and issue with premature low readings.

+1
    I have mine pointed to the right and check it over a couple of days it eventually settles and reads same both sides

Quote Originally Posted by nicjak View Post
    I have mine pointed to the right and check it over a couple of days it eventually settles and reads same both sides
    Ok so when it is cold and it settles down, what point in the high/low grid (on the cold side of the stick) do you keep your oil at. I keep mine at the highest part of the grid. I just don't want it too high so that it results in an oiled intercooler.

Quote Originally Posted by SSGViper View Post
    Ok I check my oil cold and with the dipstick loop pointing to the port side (left side) the cold reading appears to show above the range grid for the cold reading. I check the other side of the dipstick and it shows significantly lower than the other side of the dipstick. I put the dipstick back in, this time with the dipstick ring pointing towards the starboard side (right side) and take it out and the cold reading shows right at the high point of the grid reading and looks to be at the correct level since it is just at the grid high mark. I turn the dipstick over and it shows significantly higher.

So what reading is the accurate reading? Why am I getting different readings on the dipstick cold reading depending on which way the ring faces? It obviously is not the "plunger effect" that has been discussed as i do not have a low reading and never have had and issue with premature low readings.
    Came to same question last weekend after oil change.
    From factory ring is facing to the left and cold side is showing higher oil level than hot side.

+1
    it wont foul the i/c i keep mine on the high mark, but i pay close attention each oil change by putting the correct amount in.

6. +1 by:

+1
    Ok so when it is cold and it settles down, what point in the high/low grid (on the cold side of the stick) do you keep your oil at. I keep mine at the highest part of the grid. I just don't want it too high so that it results in an oiled intercooler.
    How level is your engine ?
    You should put a torpedo level on the valve cover and that bubble should be pretty much dead level between the two lines for an accurate reading...

If you ski is tilted slightly down more (not level)oil will roll forward in the crankcase showing higher oil on the dipstick and if it's tilted back slightly ( not level)will give a lower reading ...

Quote Originally Posted by jetdave56 View Post
    You should put a torpedo level on the valve cover and that bubble should be pretty much dead level between the two lines for an accurate reading...

If you ski is tilted slightly down more (not level)oil will roll forward in the crankcase showing higher oil on the dipstick and if it's tilted back slightly ( not level)will give a lower reading ...
    Yep, forgot to mention, I made sure I used the level on the valve cover so it was perfectly level.

+1
    i gathered that as this isnt the reason for different readings each side of the stick, just let it settle overnight and next time you check it will read same both sides

Quote Originally Posted by jetdave56 View Post

Yep, forgot to mention, I made sure I used the level on the valve cover so it was perfectly level.

+1
    hey guy's, on a 300, do you fill to top of grid with the top rubber removed from the dipstick? or with a stock one?

Thread Information