Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Seadoo GTR Swan Attack

So I have to ask to see if I am the only one that has had this happen. Starting last yr as I was idling through a no wake zone a swan came out of nowhere and started to chase my wife and I on the GTR. At the time I thought we must have gotten close to its nest somewhere along the way thinking nothing else of it. Well, this weekend it happened again, but at the launch site. I was done for the day and was making my way back to the dock. I noticed there was a mother, father, and baby swan sunning themselves. I instantly thought about what happened last yr hoping I wouldnt have another issue. As I approached, the father swan started swimming towards me. He tucked his head back and charged at me. I gave him some room and tried again. Same thing, as soon as I got close he started to charge me. I decided to come back in awhile since it was about an hr before dark. As I returned they had moved but were staying close to the launch. A pontoon had come and gone with no issue and another boater in an aluminum fishing boat, no issues. However, if I got close he was right on me. I made my way to the far end of the launch away from him but he kept at me. He would come within 10ft and turn around, swim out a bit and do it again. I hopped out and kept the ski between myself and the swan as protection. Finally, I made it to the dock and thought I was home free. As I was putting it on the trailer I heard this loud flapping, it was the swan flying right at me from about 50yrds out. Got her up on the trailer the rest of the way and got the hell out.

The only thing I can think of as to why others could come and go without issue was because they werent colored like the GTR (maybe other jetskiers have chased it in the past too I dont know). Not sure if the GTR looks like a swan with the black, white, and orange coloring. Either way I dont think it was coincidence this has happened twice now. Am I the only one that has had this kind of run in with wildlife, namely swans?

+1
    Very well could be the orange. Swans are dicks. lol

3. +1 by:

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    they are far smarter then we give them credit for.

get a duck call and blow it as you are trying to come in to dock.

assert your right to be there, yet keep a respectful posture

+1
    Its just weird that other boats were able to come and go without any issues. Not sure if its the size, color, or both. Other people on land were able to disrupt the mother and baby with the father not caring about them either.

+1
    This happen to me the other day. Some guy passing us the other way even warned us about the "killer swan" and we laughed at him and the stupid swan. This thing had a taste for blood. Flew at me 2 or 3 times while we were going under a bridge in a no wake zone. Must have been to close to the nest and ticked it off but damn. That thing could have really maimed me. I am on a Yamaha VXR. I don't think its a brand specific problem but maybe a size issue. We are perceived more as a threat for some reason.

+1
    nah.. they went after cajun joshs ski on lake austin and he had a blue VXR. swans are just dicks.

+1
    Swans will try you. Can't back down.

+1
    Hmm, atleast im not the only one. Wish I had the go pro going to catch some of it. Literally took 45mins to get to the dock.

+1
    I didn't even notice the damn thing the second time he was creeping up behind me. My friend yelled, I turned around and saw this white blur flapping towards me maybe 10 ft away. I punched the gas and got the hell out of there.

+1
    Wow thats crazy. Ya, when I had it half on the trailer I had my back turned and that was when I heard the loud flapping coming at me. The person that warned you were they on a jetski or a boat?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information