Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pump shoe

+1

Pump shoe

So, if your like me, you have read about the all mighty shoe protector. Do I really need one?? Yep you do!!! Ski ran great on the weekend. WOT pass, sucked something up. Shut her down, did the usual check the pump, prop. Seemed good. Fire it back up and whatever it was, was out. Rode for about another hour. Well, last night checked to see if there was any damage to the prop or ring. All looked good there but, found what I sucked up!!! Question is, has anyone tried, with success to repair? Will be ordering a shoe protector today. Once I get it, will fit it and see what I can do. Yes the fix is a new shoe but, am willing to start a thread on my take of fixing. I guess this all depends on how bad your shoe breaks also. Mine, as you can see, broke up the the inserts. But they are still there.

Meeting with one of my suppliers that work in the opoxy industry. Going to see what he suggests to try.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1240.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	335204Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1242.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	335205

+1
    replace it with the P-X setup and when you pull the prop get rid of the Riva nose cone.

I exploded my shoe around 78 and tried everything to repair it. It's not worth it.

3. +1 by:

+1
    Jay, I agree with imposter ... I tried a number of things to fix it, nothing held. Eventually Jim and I pulled the pump shoe and put in a new one, switched to an X style ride plate, silicone up all voids, and now its pretty bullet proof. Peace of mind is worth a lot ...

It is a pita to do, but the old design is just not strong enough once you hit 80 mph or more. The newer design eliminates the need for a girdle and other stuff, and is just much stronger.

+1
    How fast are u running ?

Shoes dont hold up well around 82-83 without the shoe protector in place. The water force is massive at speed. I doubt a repair would hold up very long at all.

There's a few how to's on shoe removal, that arent very hard to do, with a few tools.
    Just replace it to be safe..

+1
    When you put the new shoe in remove all the engine shims and shim the shoe to get as close as possible without going extreme then shim the engine if needed.

Do not drink any beer. You'll need every single ounce of patience

+1
    Jay go 08 + plate like I just did. That sucks man. I've had to replace one when I was still in the industry back in 05 and it was the worst thing I've ever had to do

+1
    Thanks for the replies. All of them where not what I wanted to hear but, true. Not sure exactly how fast I was going but, WOT so, 76+ anyway.

+1
    Try to not think about the work(no matter what we say you won't think it's that bad until you tear into it).

When you first launch and ride in chop you'll be on a whole new machine. The steering is immensely better. I can do circles to the point where it almost pulls me right off and that's killer impressive.

+1
    I luckley have not had any issues with my "old Style" shoe BUT as others have stated i run a 08 riva plate and filled in all the voids with silicone....this helps prevent water from getting in between the shoe and intake grate causing the shoe to break...

+1
    Well, did a "trial" fix. Contacted on of my suppliers that deals only in fiberglass and plastic. Gave me an structural adhesive that he swears by. Thought I'd give it a try. Have 3 hours of ride time since the fix. Took her easy at first, in the end said F' it! If it comes apart, the shoe replacement begins. So far so good. Took a look in there and all looks like the day I buttoned her up. Fingers crossed!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information