Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New Rebuild GP1200R water leaking from cylinder head

I just completed a rebuild on a GP1200R. I started the ski dry, and got it running with no issue. I then turned it off, and hooked up the hose. I turned the hose on with moderate pressure, and water immediately started coming out the corners of the cylinder head. Not the cylinder head cover, but the cylinder head right where the gasket is. I installed new gaskets on both the cylinder head and the cover. What should I do now? I did not start the engine at all.

+1
    Did I read this right? You turned on the water with the engine off and not running and haven't started it yet?

i started with no water and then connected hose and noticed water leak before i started back up

+1
    You always start the engine THEN the water. Always cut water off then cut the engine off. If you've ran water into it without it running, you need to dry run it to make sure there's no water in it.

NEVER and I mean NEVER put water to a ski without it running. you are essentially filling the engine with water. Water runs thru the exhaust and when it reaches the exhaust port of the cylinder, it will enter the crankcase or the piston area. You cannot compress water so, if you try to run it, it will bend a rod if the cylinder is full of water.

Chances are you did not torque the head correctly. either way, remove plugs and see if water in cylinder.

You always start the ski, and then turn water on. then when done testing or flushing, turn water off and then rev ski a few times to eliminate the water in ski ( a few quick revs) and then shut off ski.

Don

+1
    Running or not you should not have had water coming out there unless you actually filled the cyl with water, in which case it would not crank. If water is coming out the corners of the head you need to check it out closer with the the water running after the ski is started. If its leaking there, and you used new gaskets, torqued properly, you could have an issue with cylinder height. If you used a cyl or 2 from a different boat, the height of the cyl may be different from the ones you have and the head would not seal good if its much different. I have had that in the past and had to buy a special base gasket that was .015 thicker to make up the difference. To check, pull the head and gasket(clean any water in the cyl and oil down good), check the head for being flat and true with a machinist straight edge, then put the head down bare on the cylinders. Take some 1/4" wide strips of paper and lift the head at various places near where you noticed leakage and other spots and put the paper in between head and cyl. You should feel strong resistance if you try to pull the paper out of between the head and cyl. If it pulls real easy at some spots you can have a sealing problem there.

i realize now not to run hose without ski running. the issue was i had head gasket on backwards. what do i do about the water that may have gotten in cylinders or crankcase? i havent cranked ski at all yet.

+1
    Get out as much water as you can with siphon, large dropper, anything.
    Then remove plugs and crank until no more water flies out of spark plug holes.
    Put plugs back in and ride the snot out of it. A good half an hour should evaporate any remaining water. Do it ASAP! The longer water sits in your motor, the worse it gets.

I fixed the gasket still spraying water like crazy thru corners of head, what am
    i missing?? This is not a small leak? I know gasket is on correctly.

+1
    Did you pressure test motor when you completed rebuild?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information