Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

04 msx will not stay running at idle,plugs uneven color

hi guys need some help here, My 04 msx 140 will not stay running at an idle. here is what it does. starts up but then repeatedly shuts off unless I give it throttle to take off. the ski takes off fine runs great .will top out about 60 and runs perfect. if I come to a stop and let it idle for 5 min or so it will just shut off. I will restart it and runs a few seconds then shuts off, it will do this repeatedly, until I give it gas to take off again and then it runs fine.and will do the same thing when I stop again. while it is at an idle it feels like it is missing,but not at hi speeds.It has brand new plugs, the right ones.I ran the ski at wot for 5 min. then stopped and check the plugs for color. they are as follows, front plug snow white, center plug pretty black about 3/4 of it, back plug has nice tan color, again about 3/4 of the plug,last 1/4 is white. can anyone help on this problem, shouldn't the plugs all be the same colorAlso it seems like it has a clacking noise from the motor when idleing with the seat off I here it.,Thanks for any help you guys can give

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    My first suspicion is the TPS sensor is going bad.

Unplug the TPS. Does the engine now idle properly?

Check fuel pressure. Should be just over 20 PSI at the schrader valve tee when engine is cranking or running. If the pressure regulator has fallen off inside the fuel tank then the pressure will be near zero and the engine will be running lean.

Do not continue riding until the problem is solved. These Ficht engines run just above the lean threshold normally. Incorrect fuel pressure can burn down the pistons and damage the engine.

Inspect the exhaust temp sensor for frayed wires or damage right near the sensor. You will need to remove the plastic exhaust pipe section to get access to the sensor. Even then it is hard to get to. There is a service bulletin update that adds a rubber bumper to protect the wires from rubbing against the plastic exhaust section.

See my signature links for more info.

ok it stays running with the tps unplugged but at 1200 to 1500rpms, plugged in it runs at 950 to 1100 rpms till it shuts off. still has that clacking sound with the tps unplugged. whats with the color of the plugs being so different in color,what should they look like?

also it still seems to have that miss with the tps unplugged, it does not hold a steady rpm at idle nor seem to idle real smmoth

+1
    Check cylinder compression. Let's make sure the problem is not mechanical.

The fuel injectors do make a mild tapping sound as they inject fuel in pulses. Audible at idle, if you listen for it.

I will have to get a compression tester and then get back to you Thanks a lot, anything else I can check in the meantime? I wont get back to the lake till next weekend to check compression

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by car22car View Post
    I will have to get a compression tester and then get back to you Thanks a lot, anything else I can check in the meantime?

I wont get back to the lake till next weekend to check compression
    Take a digital multimeter with you to check injector voltage on white/Red wires.

And a Fuel pressure gauge with adapter to fit Schrader valve. Some adapters don't depress the valve stem properly so also take the little tool that removes schrader valves. Same thing is used to unscrew car tire valve stems. Used to be common on old-school metal bicycle tire valve caps.

And the compression tester. Screw in type, that will match the spark plug thread size. Most testers have dual threads.

Do you have access to the watercraft now, or just collecting tools and such to take with you next weekend?

I will be mostly busy next weekend, do not expect to be online much during the days.

I am leaving
    the lake tonight and will get tools for next weekend, and check what you suggest. What is the voltage to be on that injector wire, how is it checked do you just pull the wire connector off the injected and check it between the 2 wires?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by car22car View Post
    I am leaving the lake tonight and will get tools for next weekend, and check what you suggest.

What is the voltage to be on that injector wire, how is it checked do you just pull the wire connector off the injected and check it between the 2 wires?
    All injectors stay plugged in.

Black meter probe on engine ground.

Find a place where you can tap the red meter probe into a White/Red wire, they are all interconnected. If you can find a wire splice connector with multiple White/Red wires, remove the plastic cover and touch the red meter probe to the metal contact bridge inside.

Running Ficht engine should measure close to 45 volts across the RPM range and be fairly stable. If the voltage sags into the 30s then there may be a problem.

Ok thanks I will get back to you on all of that after next weekend. I will check on Sunday if your on line by chance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information