Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Purchasing Kawasaki 250X.. What to ask?

I am looking at some Kawasaki 250x skis. All of them are priced around 5k. What are some questions I should ask? I notice some have some surface rust on the bolts.. Is this okay? Most have a mix of Salt/Freshwater use. Am I better off paying extra for one that's freshwater only? What RPM's should I see? Any issues I'll be able to determine on a test ride?

+1
    My other question is a dealer says I can't water test even with a deposit, however they are required by law to fix it if I buy it and it does not work.. This true?

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    I'd suggest you spend the next day reading up on Canadian warranty law and consumer protection issues. The US has a pretty wide ranging set of conditions on warranties.

Of course you can't water test without a deposit, I'm surprised dealers are still allowing water tests at all!.

Bring a friend who knows about jetskis..that will put you in a better position to haggle.

+1
    It's in the US. New York to be exact. I know about Sea Doo skis just not much about Kawi. They won't even let me water test it with a deposit because I offered.

+1
    I was talking to a dealer in Canton GA. They were listed on the Kawasaki website as a dealer with demo rides. They even listed the 310R as a demo unit. Well the 310r was the owners and he said he would take me out for a minute if i passed the credit check.

Well im not gonna pull my credit for a test ride. Ill just have to trust my gut and buy it and be happy.

+1
    Yeah, I wouldn't be worried on a new machine with warranty. I'm looking at 2007-2008 machine's that carry no warranty. Just a little to risky for me without trying it first.

+1
    Well looks like I found my machine. 2008 Kawasaki 250x. 160 freshwater hours, that's like new. Going to take a look at it tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCharged67 View Post
    Well looks like I found my machine. 2008 Kawasaki 250x. 160 freshwater hours, that's like new. Going to take a look at it tomorrow.
    Please be careful. Some 250s have issues. A while back, there were a couple of detailed threads here about how to inspect used Ultra and questions to ask seller. A little hard to recreate now but worth for you to search. My 260 now has 265 hrs but even 160hrs is not exactly spring chicken (although 100% freshwater is better than 100% salt). I would say that a lot depends on the PWC and mechanical experience and knowledge you bring to this purchase. The less you have , the more careful you have to be esp with no warranty and no dealer support. Good luck!

+1
    I'll have to look for that thread. Any ballpark idea on the title? I know 160 hours isn't "low" but it fits the budget, looks clean and I would rather high fresh water hours vs low salt water hours. I have pretty good mechanical experience and knowledge it's just all with 4tec seadoo's. It's from a dealer that's been in business for 40 years. They're a kawasaki dealer so who knows maybe I can work out some type of warranty. They say it's really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCharged67 View Post
    I'll have to look for that thread. Any ballpark idea on the title? I know 160 hours isn't "low" but it fits the budget, looks clean and I would rather high fresh water hours vs low salt water hours. I have pretty good mechanical experience and knowledge it's just all with 4tec seadoo's. It's from a dealer that's been in business for 40 years. They're a kawasaki dealer so who knows maybe I can work out some type of warranty. They say it's really nice.
    Here are some ideas:

1) Ask for all paperwork. It means a lot if you can see regular maintenance records including proof oil changes were done frequently. A lot of 250s need a lot of regular oil changes;
    2) Check the oil on dipstick for color, and viscosity. Maybe seller just changed it to fool you but maybe not;
    3) Ask seller whether ski ever had gas in oil (GIO) ie blow by the pistons that is redirected back into crankcase. Some is normal. But, has it caused rise in oil level, and fouling of intercooler? Check the airbox plastic overflow tube and see if its dry or full of liquid? You can also check inside ic with angled mirror. If coated with mocha colored sludge you know to ask more questions. I myself would not buy a 250 with excessive GIO because it caused me many problems. But, others say get new catch can, monitor oil, and not worry so much;
    4) Pull plugs and see what they look like. But, let seller remove and reinstall plugs. You dont want to be blamed for stuck plug;
    5) Have pump bearings ever been replaced? If not, and you buy ski, you must change out to 300/310 right away! Maybe single most important piece of advice! Pump bearing may go take out engine. Maybe you ask them to throw in parts (about $140) and labor?
    6)Has supercharger been replaced? If not, you may have to buy new one ($1800)at some point in near to moderate term future. Mine lasted 245 hrs in 98% salt and others have too. But, 160+, is getting up there.
    7) I would ask seller how many sc belts have broken? Breaking a belt here or there no big deal but I was breaking a lot of belts and if you can exclude normal belt tension issues, may be indicative of more serious sc problem;
    Get under ski and look up through intake grate at prop with a flashlight. Any dings or dents? If so, negotiate for repair or replacement.

I was relieved to hear seller is dealer of 40 years. Its no guarantee but better than buying 250 in dark parking lot from stranger (Im not kidding someone did it)!

Good luck, let us know!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information