+1

93 xp questions-motor/pistons/headache, lol

A quick bit o history. Bought it a few years back. Sitting for a long time, no idea on the overall wear of motor. Well, it ran great, for 2 years. Then it ate an upper ring on the rear cylinder. Ok, had it honed (by a shop) and he says its good to go. So I got one and a half years use out of it. Now it ate the front piston ring. Both times, uppers. I replaced the rear piston and all that back then. Plan to replace both now. The rear bumped 130PSi but since I have to remove the jug to replace base gasket I've decided a full rebuild will be my plan. Going to have both cylinders dropped off at shop tomorrow. The walls look very good. I'll order the piston kit and gasket kit for about 2 hundy. Not bad I suppose. Whats your idea of why the failure? My kid rides the dog out of this thing so yes he skips along probably full throttle in and out of the water, revv, in water, revv, you get the point. Could this cause it? Or just age and wear?
    Now to the nitty gritty.
    1. What size motor is this thing? It appears the cylinder walls are about 80mm across, rough guesstimate of course.
    2. The needle bearing on the crank where the piston attaches are free to fall all over the place, they are not caged. I remember what a POS it was last time to get them to stay together when I slipped the wrist pins in.. Is there a caged unit available? The caged unit I had last time was too big.
    3. I counted 34 needle bearings on the front cylinder and 33 on the back, yikes! the front stayed put when I pulled it apart. the rear fell all over into the crank. So Now I'm thinking I am screwed or risking it to rebuild until I find that dang pin.
    I searched all inside the crank, for the missing half piston ring and that needle bearing, to no luck. used a magnet, shop vac, all of it. No sight of it. It is possible I added an old one on the last build and 33 is correct, I kinda remember thinking something just not sure.
    Anyways folks, I sure appreciate all the knowledge and advice. I'm fairly comfortable with a 2 stroke, have built many in my life but thought I would get answers to questions I'm kinda lost with before I proceed. Thanks in advance.

+1
    I'm wanting to keep this on the low as in Cali this ski isn't worth much since the 2 stroke ban went into effect.

Thread Information