+1

Extremely rough engine yesterday- grinding noise

Yesterday was my first day of the season. After installing the recently charged battery, filling up my tank, and hitting the lake, I was all ready to go. After a couple of hours of riding the 06 rxp (25 hours total) and having friends take turns, I hopped on it to head towards the ramp.

as I exit the 'slow area' I start to punch it and notice an extreme grinding noise and about a 80% loss of power at very high rpms. I headed back to the shore to check things out, couldn't figure what was causing the problem then I started to gas at forward then reverse and back and forth in cause something was jammed. After a minute, I tried to head back to the ramp and all of a sudden the ski punched out of the water and resumed its normal operation. My RPMs and speed seemed to be normal.

Do you think something got sucked up in the ski?- I noticed some small pieces of drift wood while riding- Could that be the problem? Also, while we weren't riding it, I had it tied just off a rocky beach. I never put in the key and immediately start, I always shake and and try to release anything sucked into the engine prior to starting. This bothers me cause its my first issue with the ski. Like I said, now everything seems normal.

Thanks guys

Yup it sucked something up, could've been anything. Take a good look at your pump see if it caused any damage

Take ure pump off do a close inspection. plus if you did ingest something you probably roasted a wear ring so replace that.

+1
    I guess I have to check for that, although I have no idea what I'm looking for. I'm guessing the Wear Ring would be cracked, chipped, or missing?? Also, I've got 25 hours on my 06 RXP, what do you think is the typical life of my wear ring. Before yesterday, I always rode in clean water.

Quote Originally Posted by vidbuster View Post
    I guess I have to check for that, although I have no idea what I'm looking for. I'm guessing the Wear Ring would be cracked, chipped, or missing?? Also, I've got 25 hours on my 06 RXP, what do you think is the typical life of my wear ring. Before yesterday, I always rode in clean water.
    Check this thread out the white plastic ring around the prop is the wear ring. yours is probably just gouged to chit. it all matters on what you ingested.

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21711

Same thing happened to me TODAY. I pulled the ski out of the water and there was two little sticks stuck in the prop. Started it up out of the water and they shot out. put it back in and kept on cruisin. I am amazed 2 little sticks caused that much vibration. I thought it was something serious when I first sucked them in.
    It does NOT necessarily mean your prop or wear ring are shot, at least not in my case....

+1
    Yesterday was my first day of the season. After installing the recently charged battery, filling up my tank, and hitting the lake, I was all ready to go. After a couple of hours of riding the 06 rxp (25 hours total) and having friends take turns, I hopped on it to head towards the ramp.

as I exit the 'slow area' I start to punch it and notice an extreme grinding noise and about a 80% loss of power at very high rpms. I headed back to the shore to check things out, couldn't figure what was causing the problem then I started to gas at forward then reverse and back and forth in cause something was jammed. After a minute, I tried to head back to the ramp and all of a sudden the ski punched out of the water and resumed its normal operation. My RPMs and speed seemed to be normal.

Do you think something got sucked up in the ski?- I noticed some small pieces of drift wood while riding- Could that be the problem? Also, while we weren't riding it, I had it tied just off a rocky beach. I never put in the key and immediately start, I always shake and and try to release anything sucked into the engine prior to starting. This bothers me cause its my first issue with the ski. Like I said, now everything seems normal.

Thanks guys
    you just sucked some **** up eg driffed wood
    or something else, nothing to worry about unless you want your ski running to its max remove and inspect your prop + ring regards bill

+1
    Same thing happened to me after Katrina. I launched to check things out and sucked up a coke can. Smoked the wear ring. Had to yank the can out piece by piece with long ace needlenose.

+1
    Thanks guys, well you were right. I had to replace the wear ring. It had a hole in it about the size of a quarter.

Thread Information