01 Virage 1200TXI mag side crank bearing failure

Low injector volts so I pulled the flywheel and found a mess. The bearing behind the stator is in rough shape, pieces of it got in the flywheel and broke 3 magnets out of 12. Stator looks ok, the metal caps on the poles are scuffed up but intact. I see a snap ring in front of the bearing. Can this bearing be pulled out the front and replaced?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    The crank shaft bearings are held in place with clamping force from the two halves of the crankcase. The front retaining ring is mostly insurance as it is not the primary retention factor. Some 1200 engines even came from Polaris without that ring.

The crankcase must be split to get at the bearings. While you have it apart inspect all the other bearings very carefully. Even if all seems good I would suggest at least changing the rear bearing and installing new crack seals from and rear. At the rear you can install a dual seal arrangement, which eventually became factory standard.

See my signature links for an upgraded dual rear seal configuration using a Teflon lipped snowmobile seal.

Yea I figured it couldn't be that easy. Looking at the bright side-can clean the hull real nice after I pull the engine, previous owner already did the top end rebuild. After I pull engine thinking I better get the out drive apart and see if its to to par.The previous owner said he paid $1700.00 for the rebuild & I bought it for $1000.00. I've seen crank assy from $250-400 used and rebuilt. If the rest of them feel right I'll just change the bad rearing for $30.00 & replace seals with upgrade that U recommended. Thanks again. Will post how it goes.

+1
    Jet pump and driveshaft come out first, before the engine can be lifted out. See my signature links for details.

Thanks for the info. Just about there. Anything I should know or be watching for when I;m splitting the cases?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ProX View Post
    ... Anything I should know or be watching for when I'm splitting the cases?
    Pretty straightforward once you get down to just the cases.

The cylinders and everything else needs to come off the engine first.

Tip: Remove the engine drive shaft coupler while the engine is still bolted into the hull. Use the 'rope trick' to hold the PTO piston in the cylinder while you torque the coupler off.

During engine reassembly be sure to use the exhaust manifold to 'clock' the cylinders into position before torquing down the cylinder base bolts.

Thread Information