Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

VXR stock speed and rider weight question

I'm a pretty big guy (270#) and am in love with my 2013 VXR. I'm happy with the ski in every way now that I put a Riva SS grate and plug kit on it, and was surprised that I've not seen any loss of top speed. With a 3/4 to full tank of gas, I was hitting 64mph on GPS before the new grate, and now after the grate I'm still hitting 64mph. Water conditions were near glass to light chop. I'm happy with this speed, but from what I've read here I'm surprised it wasn't hitting more like 66 on the GPS before the grate at least, and I'm wanting to make sure I don't have anything else wrong that needs attention. The ski is sitting at 21 hours.

So is 64mph GPS on a stock VXR with a fat guy single rider where I should be?

+1
    I had a 2012 Vxr that did 65 and I weigh 170. I have seen other people run faster but not mine. I got frustrated and wanted to go faster so I bought an fz. I do miss the vxr for hot dogging around not worring about hitting the rev limiter and messin up sc or clutch.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    64 seems slow....most VXs/r's are running upper 60's...Im 260 lbs

+1
    Any ideas? Are these prone to oil overfill like the VX's?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jstanfi1 View Post
    Any ideas? Are these prone to oil overfill like the VX's?
    The vx's typically get overfilled because they are a dry sump style oiling system and people don't follow the procedure to accurately check.

+1
    I'm a pretty big guy (270#) and am in love with my 2013 VXR. I'm happy with the ski in every way now that I put a Riva SS grate and plug kit on it, and was surprised that I've not seen any loss of top speed. With a 3/4 to full tank of gas, I was hitting 64mph on GPS before the new grate, and now after the grate I'm still hitting 64mph. Water conditions were near glass to light chop. I'm happy with this speed, but from what I've read here I'm surprised it wasn't hitting more like 66 on the GPS before the grate at least, and I'm wanting to make sure I don't have anything else wrong that needs attention. The ski is sitting at 21 hours.

So is 64mph GPS on a stock VXR with a fat guy single rider where I should be?
    It really depends on a lot of factors. My brother is around that size and his stock VXR is the same speed (~64 mph) in North Texas heat/elevation/air. Mine was around the same speed stock, but is now in the 71+ MPH range in the same area with mods.

Some climates are more condusive to speed. Anything at sea level is going to be faster than an area with elevation. Same with humidity and barometric pressure. All of these factor into speeds. For example, when I see someone in a cooler, drier climate at sea level getting faster speeds than I do, I don't worry about it too much. I know at my elevation, air temp, humidity, etc, I'm going to be a bit slower. Every time I take my ski to the coast (sea level) I gain at least 1 MPH. My skis always run faster at Mudbug for example.

Here is a calculator I use to keep my sanity when doing speed testing:

http://wahiduddin.net/calc/calc_hp_dp.htm

I pull weather stats from the 3-day history link here based on the zip code where I did the testing:

http://w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KJWY.html

Using that weather info and elevation from your GPS, you can find out what % of horsepower you had available on that run. The fluctuation in the barometric pressure/altimeter readings from day to day makes a noticeable difference in RPMs and peak speeds.

For example, just a quick Google search shows that Lafayette, Indiana is 700 above sea level. That's enough to make 1-1.5 MPH difference from skis running at sea level if all other factors were equal.

Also, riding position makes a difference as well. Sitting up close to the bars will slow you down. Getting your weight as far back as possible will increase your speed. Lowering your head and shoulders under the bars for a couple of seconds will also increase speeds. Personally, I do the superman position when I am looking for peak speeds, but I've been riding a long time and feel comfortable doing that. It always gets a little more out of the ski.

Also, engine temp makes a diff. The first run on a cool engine is typically faster. If you ride the ski around all day, then make a speed run at the end of the day, the engine will be heat soaked and will turn a few less RPM. And of course the amount gas in the tank factors in some as well. The less gas (weight) typically the faster it will go.

It's possible the air was "worse" on the day you hit 64 on the stock grate and "better" on the day you hit 64 with the Riva SS grate.

7. +1 by:

+1
    Thanks Jarrett! Sounds like I've probably got a healthy ski. I think I'm going to do the ribbon delete and throw in a less restrictive air filter in the stock box. I'm really not concerned about top speed, I just want to power through turns!

+1
    You're welcome. The first time you ride after doing the air mods is a blast

+1
    Thanks Jarrett! Sounds like I've probably got a healthy ski. I think I'm going to do the ribbon delete and throw in a less restrictive air filter in the stock box. I'm really not concerned about top speed, I just want to power through turns!
    200#at 66.8mph stock, glass with high 80s temp

+1
    I went back and looked at my notes and my ski was 64.6 MPH in 91 degree air on the first day I rode it. Granted I was 380+ lbs. back then

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information