Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Polaris MSX 110

Polaris MSX 110

I have just acquired a Polaris MSX 110. When i got it the person i got it from said the ski was running, but the oil looked low so they added some. Therefore causing contamination in the intake system. I have cleaned all portions of the intake system and replaced the sensors. The check engine light now goes off after ten blinks on the display. I am restricted to 5000 rpms now though. I have seen other posts that say it won't rev past that till it hits operating temperature? I also think i am only running on one cylinder. Have any ideas? I have also found somebody in the area that can scan it, but i don't know how direct the answers on the scan will be. If anybody has any input let me know.
    Last edited by awall; 07-09-2014 at 01:22 PM.

+1
    Welcome to GH!

Overfilled oil on the Weber engine (MSX 110/150) leads to oil ingestion as you've experienced. Cleaning out all the intake hoses, intercooler, hard pipe and intake manifold is step one. You also need to get your oil level set right so as to prevent from happening again... or better yet... remove the oil vapor emissions recirc hose from the oil separator (cyclone thing on battery side of oil tank) to the airbox. Plumb this hose into an oil catch can and it'll never suck oil into the intake again.

As for not running right... it's possible the MAP sensors (hard pipe and front of intake manifold) are fouled. These commonly go bad when they get oil fouled. Even if cleaned... that often doesn't fix them. Try pulling them both out... clean gently... "sensor safe" cleaner... then reverse the two. They are identical sensors... but only the one on the hardpipe uses the air temp sensing part of the MAP. Don't cross the wire harness connectors... just swap placement of the two sensors. The hardpipe sensor often gets the worst oil fouling... while the intake one not-so-much. So swapping them is worth a try... otherwise might need to replace them both.

The other possible issue I've heard of is the ECU gets stuck in a permanent "limp" mode sometimes after a bad case of oil ingestion... and even after the problem is fixed... it still stays stuck. Try disconnecting the battery overnight to see if that helps. I've heard of some folks needing an ECU reflash to finally solve this problem.

Cheers!

I have already cleaned all the air intake and replaced the two sensors with bosch exact number matches. I bought the sensors from gm. I just left the Polaris dealer and he says there is not a reflash available? I kinda thought this was weird. I have no codes. I am going to try the battery thing now. Does limp mode make it only run on one cylinder? Any help would be greatly apprecciated. I have called Polaris but they will not let you talk to their technical department unless you are a dealer. So I called the dealer back and asked for him to call them for me.

I also have the oil level on the bottom mark where it is suppose to be. It goes about 7 mph in the water at about 3000 rpms.

+1
    Ok... Let's recap your situation.
    - new ski to you... came with issues (right?)
    - it was overfilled with oil... leading to oil ingestion (you bought with this problem, right?)
    - you cleaned intake tract (hoses, hardpipe, intercooler, intake)
    - you got 2 new Bosch MAP sensors installed
    - oil is clean (no foam/water signs) and at the proper level now
    - red warning light blinks 10 times on startup (this is normal) then goes out... no check engine indicator (right?)
    - it now only runs 7mph @ 3000 rpms (or are you restricted to 5000 rpms??)

So... my questions
    - has this ski ever run correctly (full speed, full rpm) since you've owned it?
    - do a compression test on both cylinders... let us know the #s
    - what spark plugs are you running?
    - are you getting ANY other indicators on the display (after startup)?

We'll go from there...

Cheers!

I actually traded for the jet ski. I talked to the previous owner that he got it from and he said it ran good. I have known the previous owner a long time. The person he traded it into checked the oil first thing and added abunch. When I got it it had oil in the intake system and i cleaned all that out and checked the map sensors with a meter and both read bad so i replaced them. I am running ngk plugs. I have checked compression and it is 128 on one and 130 on the other. It is running on one cylinder right now. I don't know if this is due to being in limp mode or what it does in this situation. I carried it to polaris dealer this morning and a scan said there was no problems. On the flip side they said they couldn't flash computer. Which i thought was weird. I have a call into technical support with polaris right now but i don't know if this will help either. Yall seem to know alot more than they do.

The oil level is fine now with a reading on the bottom of the stick after a 30 second start..

+1
    Okay... I've read reports here that folks have had "stuck" ECUs after a bad oil ingestion episode. And that it took an ECU reflash to cure it (or a different ECU). I'm not aware of if the dealers can (or ever could) reflash ECUs but we have an ECU guru... Martin at Precision Sports... who can. He can reflash the stock code... or he also has upgraded "staged" reflash for more performance.

It's an expensive troubleshooting step to get your ECU reflashed to see if that fixes anything. Maybe you could find an ECU... MSX 110 or MSX 150... to borrow and see if your running normally again before you do the whole reflash thing.

Spark plugs: NGK BKR7E or Champion (3068 ) RC7PYCB... I use Champs.

So seems like it's running on one cylinder? Or sorta like limp mode? I would imagine there would have to be some trouble code tripped and readable if it was in fact in limp mode. Otherwise it should be working normally.

The Weber will run on 1 cylinder... although very poorly and it won't hardly idle.

Cheers!

The spark plugs i use are the NGK bkr7e. How would i get ahold of martin at precision sports? I am just about at the end of my rope with this thing. I have went back and read all the posts on these and have checked all sensor readings and can't find anything wrong. I even tried to find any loose connections. I also don't know of another one of these skis around these parts. Seems like everybody else is smart enough to stay away from them. LOL

ok. I am now getting a 5000 rpm limit out of water?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information