Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

2002 Virage XTI wont start

My XTI wont start. All voltages on red/withe wires are good and I can hear the injectors click like an uncapped spark plug. Fuel pressure is 20 LBS and bright spark on the spark plugs. When I unplug the TPS it acts the same as when it is connected.

No backfire or anything but if I spray starting fluid into the intake manifold I occasionally get a backfire.

Is it my EMM?

Thanks!

48Straight

+1
    Disconnected the 503 module using the following method and it still wont start or backfire even with starting fluid:

Step 1)
    Unplug the LR-503 module.
    This will prevent the Start/Stop button from stopping the engine.

The lanyard safety switch will still be able to stop the engine, so use the lanyard to kill the engine if it starts.

Step 2)
    Crank the engine, see if it starts promptly.
    You can do this two different ways;

A) If you short the two heavy terminals (with the two heavy red wires bolted on) on the start solenoid together, the starter motor will crank the engine.

Peel back the two red covers, and use a short screwdriver blade to short between the two terminals. The engine should crank and should start, if the safety lanyard is in place.

Be aware that there will be sparking when you short those two posts together on the solenoid, so use a firm hand, and do not allow the tool to touch anything else.

Make sure there are no gasoline fumes inside the hull.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Skip the starting fluid. It is hard on the engine in general and the backfire risk is significant.

What is the measured voltage on White/Red?
    Black meter probe to engine ground, red meter probe to White/Red wire, with all injectors plugged in.

+1
    It bounces around at first so it may not have a constant voltage but according to my FLUKE the white on red is 19.8V after she settles for about 5 seconds. It was measured on a larger gauge wire at coming off a module above the gas tank.

+1
    Sorry I had red on white in my first post.

For others that may not know the first color is the main color and the second color is the pin stripe.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 48Straight View Post
    It bounces around at first so it may not have a constant voltage but according to my FLUKE the white on red is 19.8V after she settles for about 5 seconds. It was measured on a larger gauge wire at coming off a module above the gas tank.
    That injector voltage sounds borderline weak.

The voltage bounces around
    It rarely gives trouble, but check the large external capacitor. It is about the size of a soda can, mounted nearby the EMM.

Stop cranking the engine and watch the voltage decline on White/Red. The injector voltage should decline over many seconds, not collapse rapidly. If it declines slowly the capacitor is probably good.

+1
    Put in new liquid battery, cant find a better one in Colorado Springs. Voltage still bouncing around perhaps even more on the new larger battery, but there is a slow voltage decline.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 48Straight View Post
    .... Voltage still bouncing around perhaps even more on the new larger battery, but there is a slow voltage decline.
    Remove the flame arrestor. Dribble a little bit of straight gasoline down each throttle body air intake. Maybe a teaspoon or less, it doesn't need much.

Keep your face and body away from the intakes in case of backfire. Try to start the engine.

If it starts, will it keep running on its own after the priming fuel dose burns off?

+1

Here is the VOM footage if it makes it

+1
    Sorry about the double movie.

The voltage is negative because I have an alligator clip on the negative lead for easy hands free grounding of the VOM. For this measurement I used it to clip on the needle in the wire and the positive lead clips to a set of jumper cables connected to the -Batt terminal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information