Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Test ride gone bad

Hey guys, test drove a 2003 gp1300r today. As I was idling out it didn't feel quite right to me. Lots of shaking. So I go to take off and Boggs down and then takes off. Get it to about 50 and then it sounds like it's revving super high. Chop was maybe 6" so it wasn't loosing traction. Went to take off again and it never really took off but acted like it was revving really high. When it was idling it sounded like something was grinding. Was able to limp it back to the dock and told the guy it wasn't running right at all and something was wrong. He said he took it out an hour before and it ran fine. Said another guy was going to test it in a bit.

I just got a text from the guy and said the other guy couldn't get it over 10. I didn't do a compression test when there cause it was already in the water and was just going to do it when I got it out. He said it doesn't seem good. Said he would take 1000 as is for the trailer and ski. Anyone have an idea of what it could be just by my description. It still had the cat-con so I was wondering if it failed, therefor there being no back pressure to power the ski. Any ideas guys?

Just relax and enjoy the ride. XLT Chad's Avatar
    +1
    Unless your ready to rebuild a motor, I'd walk (run) away from this one.

3. +1 by:

+1
    Ditto: I Gave a gent a GPS becasue he claimed his 07 RXP did 80 he said you can check, I said nah you go ahead he came back spuddering and smoking GPS said 72mpg , he pulled the plugs and one was melted off I said ouch Il be leaving now he was like how much you give me now LOL , I said Il think about it and let you know. RBLD time

+1
    Compression test it. If ok, then could be the driveshaft splines.

Yeah I really wanted to get a compression on it but he claimed he didn't have time and everything. It's an hour drive for me so I can't just run over. I think he might be taking it to a deal though. I wouldn't be opposed to rebuilding the top end if that's what it needed. As long as it's not super complicated. I read someone say they rebuilt the top end without pulling the engine. Is that even possible? I know my old Ultra 150 it wasn't really possible. Also, what would be a good price for it if it needed a rebuild?

+1
    Save your money buy a new one don't buy someone else problem.

+1
    if it starts and runs some its worth 1000 with decent trailer, but who knows what is wrong with it till you go over the whole ski.

+1
    From what you said, it sounds like the splines are striped. Engine runs and revs. Started at 50mph and has been declining each run. Grinding noise from the splines in the intermediate shaft. I'd go there and compression test it. If compression is good, I'd buy it as the engine is good. Would either be a pump issue or shaft issue. Either way, cheap fix. I'd offer 900 and see he'll take it. You'll have a 3k+ ski for half that.

10. +1 by:

So I just heard back from the guy. He got it in the shop today. They told him it needed new impeller bearings, exhaust manifold, spark plugs and a new fuel filter. Sounds like pretty routine things to me other than the exhaust manifold. Are any of these repairs an indicator of future problems? From my experience they aren't. Would you feel comfortable buying a ski with these repairs done? And by repairs I mean impeller bearings and exhaust. I could care less about fuel filter an plugs.

+1
    For the age of the ski, no big deal. What exhaust manifold? Can find that part somewhat cheap if looking for used. Will he take the price back up or looking for you to buy as is and fix it yourself?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information