Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

2013 300x Ongoing Issue

I've had my 13 300x for about a year now. Currently at 28hrs. Only mod is an SCOM.

Last august, the day after a long ride I went to my local lake to get a quick ride in. What I found is that when I would hit the throttle (mid to heavy input) the ski would cut in and out and water would enter the hull, under pressure, from what appeared to be the driveshaft area. Drop it off at the dealer for warranty work - get it back after season ends 3 months later with a new exhaust system, dealer says it's fixed.

Fast forward to April this year - take it out for the first ride of the year, same exact issue - dealer fixed nothing. Get my ski up to GH member Joe Stang, he replaces some mystery hose in the hull - get it back and it works fine for about 8 hours, then in the middle of a ride this past weekend the issue returns.

I've taken everything apart and can't find any split or cracked hoses, both inside the hull and in the pump area. All clamps on all hoses are tight. Am I right to believe that something involving the driveshaft is causing this issue? Ski runs absolutely fine on the hose, and it runs absolutely fine in the water attached to the trailer. I can only get it to cut out while underway.

At the risk of losing my ski for another 3 months to a local dealer and spoiling the rest of my riding season I'd like to attempt to remedy the issue myself - let me know what you guys think!

+1
    Have you test ridden the ski in flat water with the seats and top frame off ,bring it up to a reasonable speed and look down to see where the waters coming from?

+1
    i would find out what the mystery hose was that stang replaced, sounds like you have a split hose, the two to check are the one from the stator cover to oil cooler, or the s/c to the block, also check the oil cooler to block hose whilst your at it.

With your Ski tied down really good to the Trailer, back it into the water and let it run a while with seats off. You will see where the water is coming from.

If you want to be really efficient, have a friend work the throttle so you can focus on the engine compartment.

Has anybody checked the Hull? Are there any holes in the hull? JB

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdave56 View Post
    Have you test ridden the ski in flat water with the seats and top frame off ,bring it up to a reasonable speed and look down to see where the waters coming from?
    Yes I've pulled them. When cruising the issue doesn't present itself, it's only when I hit the throttle. It'll cut in and out, I see water shooting around directly in between the back of the engine and the oil cooler, for reference. Once the engine goes through it's cutting in and out and settles in the issue goes away and it will maintain a cruise without issues.

Quote Originally Posted by nicjak View Post
    i would find out what the mystery hose was that stang replaced, sounds like you have a split hose, the two to check are the one from the stator cover to oil cooler, or the s/c to the block, also check the oil cooler to block hose whilst your at it.
    Pulled all the hoses and everything looks to be intact. I'll get a second set of eyes as well to be 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by john belton View Post
    With your Ski tied down really good to the Trailer, back it into the water and let it run a while with seats off. You will see where the water is coming from.

If you want to be really efficient, have a friend work the throttle so you can focus on the engine compartment.

Has anybody checked the Hull? Are there any holes in the hull? JB
    Tried that to identify the issue - couldn't get it to replicate the issue while on the trailer, which doesn't make much sense to me how it couldn't do it on the trailer, but will do it while riding on the water.

+1
    Checked the hull - area inside the intake grate, removed the pump and checked the pump tunnel. No cracks or holes.

I have a close friend who's an excellent ski mechanic. He can check your ski and/or even test ride it in your area to help diagnosing/fixing the issue you are having.
    If you want this to happen, PM me.

+1
    im sure you mean you can see it splashing about behind the engine between the catchcan and engine not oil cooler!! is the belt cover removed to make it easier to see? sounds like an easy find if you can see water. plug the flush hose on and start crimping some hoses off whilst the ski isnt running. this should show which hose it is. pinch the LH front head entry hose off and the LH rear head hose off. do the same with the i/c

oops brain fade, this wont exactly work forgot flush connects to exhaust manifold first. but a little thinking can overcome this.
    Last edited by nicjak; 07-10-2014 at 12:47 AM.

+1
    I would suggest that it may have broken the rubber around the drive shaft bearing. It will not show up on the trailer because the pump inlet is under negative pressure. when the ski is at speed, the pump inlet goes positive pressure and the water works starts.

Best way to check is with seats and back handle removed, have someone drive the ski with a second person on the back observing the problem area. those head band lights work killer for this test. Slowly bring the ski to full throttle and observe.

Also, be safe! Do it in smooth water and stress to the driver not to be a fuckwit.

+1
    Stuff your GoPro down there..

11. +1 by:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information