Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Anyone renting the Polaris alignment tool or making them?

Just like the title says.

is anybody renting the alignment tool or making them? If so what is the price?

Also so what does the material cost to make?

And is there another item needed to attach it?
    Last edited by K447; 07-10-2014 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Title typo

+1
    Something else, if the alignment is sooooo important then why did polaris put this setup in a fiberglass hull that flexes as much as 2 inches bow to stern???? I got this information from Randy and he got it from polaris back in the day.

I would think that the alignment in ruff waters would be totally screwed. Logically a split two piece shaft would be better for maintaining alignment in ruff waters with this much hull flex. The longer the shaft the more the flex of the hull transfers right?

+1
    Watcon sells and rents the alignment tool... unless you can find a fellow member to lend you theirs.

The alignment tool is not for use on the MSXs... which has the fixed bearing/seal assembly on the hull and the large rubber-cushed couplers. The tool is for all the other one-piece driveshaft models.

Cheers!

+1
    So how do you align the msx if the tool is not for this ski? Randy told me that the alignment on the msx 150 was more important than any other polaris ski. He also told me I needed the alignment tool.

+1
    Alignment procedure.
    Attached Files Attached Files

+1
    Okay... looked into this a little more... since I've never aligned an MSX (just did 3 other model Polaris a two days ago)...

Service manual says:
    Driveshaft Alignment
    8. Remove the pump--side drive coupler and rubber
    dampener. Using a pipe wrench or strap wrench,
    carefully remove the engine--side drive coupler.
    (Illustration 3)
    NOTE: Do not damage the fingers on the drive coupler.
    9. Install the DRIVESHAFT ALIGNMENT COUPLER
    TOOL, PN PW--46592, on the PTO end of the
    crankshaft. Hand tighten tool.
    So you remove both MSX couplers (engine side and pump side). Then you screw on this "Driveshaft Alignment Coupler Tool"... which I don't know if I've ever seen. Then you use the regular Polaris alignment tool the same as on all the other models to align.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MSX-driveshaft-alignment-coupler-tool.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	335395

So yeah... turns out you do use the Polaris alignment tool... in addition to a coupler tool.

Cheers!

+1
    Ok this is what Randy explained, but poorly I have been trying to find what he was referring to and that is it. I am just not familiar enough with the manual yet.

He told me the alignment is more important on this ski due to the engine design and the fact the crank is a floating unsupported crank. If you apply force on a improperly aligned engine/shaft it can cause premature rear main bearing failure. Or that is what I was told.

Now all I need is to find the widget that attaches to the crank and find an alignment tool.

thanks rip!

Did you aliign your msx 150 when you rebuilt it?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hill160881 View Post
    Did you aliign your msx 150 when you rebuilt it?
    Nope... never even took the driveshaft out. I just slide it rearward enough to get the engine out and back in. And now that I think about it... I do have a different block from the original that came in the ski... but it's bolted to the original PTO cradle. I can't detect any alignment issues or abnormal vibrations on mine. Thu-hull assembly is still watertight too...

Cheers!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by hill160881 View Post
    ... the alignment is more important on this ski due to the engine design and the fact the crank is a floating unsupported crank. If you apply force on a improperly aligned engine/shaft it can cause premature rear main bearing failure...

Now all I need is to find the widget that attaches to the crank and find an alignment tool.

As far as I can tell you can use an old-school solid driveshaft coupler which was OEM on some mid-late 1990 Polaris models. I would look up the part number but I am mobile at the moment.

Screw it on to the MSX engine in place of the stock MSX coupler, then check the alignment in the usual manner with the standard alignment tool.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    As far as I can tell you can use an old-school solid driveshaft coupler which was OEM on some mid-late 1990 Polaris models. I would look up the part number but I am mobile at the moment.

Screw it on to the MSX engine in place of the stock MSX coupler, then check the alignment in the usual manner with the standard alignment tool.
    Brilliant!

The regular Polaris couplers do thread on the shaft when you remove the MSX coupler. I recall trying this some time back when I had mine apart. That solid metal coupler should work exactly the same as that coupler tool too! Probably why I've never seen that tool... just use a common coupler.

Cheers!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information