Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Msx 150 low oil pressure?

My trouble light and low oil pressure indicator are activated. There is no obvious cause for this. No engine work has been done recently and the engine seems to run well. I don,t find any oil in the hull and the oil looks good.

Would appreciate any advise on how to troubleshoot this. I have the upgraded oil tank.

+1
    Mine did this and within 20 min it blew. I did not even make it home.

These skis had several factory problems/issues and one of them is the high pressure oil pump. The reason for the oil pump issue is thought to be the fact many don't use the recommended oil and cheap out. This engine runs on to fine of tolerances to use any thicker oil or any oil without the correct rating. I used mystic 15w50 simi-synthetic for over 100 hours and boom. Oil pump failure.

After looking at the prices for used and new skis I decided to rebuild this ski. Once the problems with this engine are fixed it is a good long lasting and efficient setup. It will pay for the rebuild in 300 hours in fuel alone.

Possible causes are
    Very low on oil.
    Bad oil pressure sending unit/sensor.
    High pressure oil pump is done.
    Dry sump pump is done and not pumping the oil to the canister.
    Spun bearing.
    Last edited by hill160881; 07-10-2014 at 09:47 AM.

Thanks for the response. Didn't think this was a common problem couldn't find a single thread on it. I have been using amsoil that the previous owner had been using. The last issue I had with the ski was the hull filling with water and some getting in the intake. There was water in the oil and i changed the oil twice after that and drained the intercooler. The oil currently looks good. After this I took the ski out to troubleshoot the water in hull problem and the ski ran well with no low oil pressure indication I was only out for 5 min or so but ran it full throttle.

Is there a way for me to test the sensor and see if it is bad? Does digital wrench have the ability to diagnose the exact cause of the problem? Assume I have to pull the engine to inspect the high pressure pump?

+1
    So after running hard for 5 minutes or so... that is when the low oil indicator came on? Or before this latest test run? Water in the oil causes foaming which will affect oil pressure. But if you've gotten all the foam and water out... and have clean oil... the issue should go away. Did you try disconnecting the battery overnight to see if ECU cleared? (usually doesn't work).

The Polaris Tech Tips sheet with sensor testing for the Weber engine does not show the oil pressure sensor... so no details on how it could be tested.

Service manual shows oil pressure range spec as:
    21 @ IDLE -- 80 @ MAX PSI (1.5 -- 5.5 BAR)

Service manual list low oil pressure switch triggering range spec as:
    Oil Pressure Switch Continuity Pressure 11 -- 16 psi (.8 -- 1.1 BAR)

The oil pressure switch is down low on the block... exhaust side, under the turbo/exhaust manifold... towards the front of the block. A single wire goes down to connect to it.

Digital Wrench will be able to read all the stored trouble codes... so I'd expect a low oil pressure triggered code... plus whatever else ails it. It should also be able to do live reading of sensor values with the ski running.

The high pressure oil pump requires an engine pull to get to. It's on the PTO end of the block behind the PTO balance "flywheel" plate and behind the large PTO engine mount and shield. I would consider this a last resort for troubleshooting/fixing.

Cheers!

+1
    I've had a couple of bad pressure switches in the past, you can't swap them out with the engine in place!
    you can make up an alternative position picking up pressure from the turbo or oil canister banjos

The time I took it out for 5 minutes the light never came on. My oil is clear. Had the battery out over night and it didn't fix the problem.

Could a loose or broken wire cause the alarm?

Should I be working on getting a gage hooked up to the banjo so I can get a reading?

Is there any other way to tell if sensor is bad?

+1
    After running it on plane does the light flash once you let
    off the throttle? Or just randomly while riding?

Hill to be honest I only idled around a little bit didn't want to go on plane and crater the engine. It was a constant blinking red light with flashing oil lamp symbol. I tried two or three times and always the same so I shut her down and put it on the trailer. Guess Im lucky to have a boat wouldn't want to rely on the msx to et me out to te each.

Someone save me before I lose my mind. I have an upgraded oil tank so I am using a single banjo bolt. I have the original double bolt so I should be able to hook up new pressure switch with banjo fitting. The issue I have is the switch has a 10mm -1.0 male thread. I keep googling and can,t find any connectors that will get me to something usefull from the 10mm male. Any ideas? I,ve spent hours on this.

+1
    I'd use something like this:
    http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-...ssure/ES11178/

Not sure if the threaded bolt part is the right threads. It's for a VW... from Germany... and so is Weber... so that means absolutely nothing! And you might have to find a standard to metric tread adapter for where the oil pressure sensor screws in.

But it's a start.

Cheers!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information