98 seadoo spx gas in hull

I am trying to figure out what ways gas can find it's way into the hull, there are usually about 2-3 cups of gas in the hull after running it--my first thought was a leaky gas tank, is this a prominent problem in these machines? Upon a quick inspection, I don't see any thing out of the ordinary, can't really tell on the bottom of the tank however. I did have leaky oil bins in both skis in which I now mix the oil right in the gas after disabling the oil injection.

It seems now that water may in the gas tank as well, the machines are not "firing on all cylinders" I did replace the plugs. Any help on where to start would be greatly appreciated--this is my first post, sorry about that.

+1
    Welcome to Greenhulk.
    Not sure about your problem, but I can tell you this. You want to find the gas leak and fix it before you ride it more.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    The problem is the tank seams split over time and leak gas. You need to have the recall completed on the gas tank ASAP or buy another one before you blow yourself up. DO NOT ride this ski till it's fixed. I'm surprised you still have legs, not in a wheel chair or a colostomy bag or worse yet dead.

Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    The problem is the tank seams split over time and leak gas. You need to have the recall completed on the gas tank ASAP or buy another one before you blow yourself up. DO NOT ride this ski till it's fixed. I'm surprised you still have legs, not in a wheel chair or a colostomy bag or worse yet dead.
    I pulled the tank, can you see the separation, it looks in tact when I look at it, but it is not under pressure -- that may be the reason it looks good to me

if it is not the tank, can gas come from anywhere else--a fuel line perhaps? Again, on inspection, the fuel lines seem dry

+1
    I would dive into this big time before I would do any thing else. Could be the tank could be a fuel
    line or the carb seals. Open it up and do some work before you kill yourself. Not trying to be a dick but I can't stress safety enough. You wouldn't drive a car with a fuel leak would you?

Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    I would dive into this big time before I would do any thing else. Could be the tank could be a fuel
    line or the carb seals. Open it up and do some work before you kill yourself. Not trying to be a dick but I can't stress safety enough. You wouldn't drive a car with a fuel leak would you?
    agreed on the safety--not driving it until it is cleaned up, I just don't know where to start after the tank, thanks for the direction ont he carb seals

+1
    after the tank I would pull the fuel baffle out of the tank. inspect it for cracks. after that I would pull the carbs. do not disconnect the lines. just pull them up and lay them on a piece of plywood across the engine bay till you know what is what. after that I would start inspecting for leaks. rusty areas, paint missing from gas leaks etc. then I would start replacing fuel lines one by one. then I would pull the fuel selector and clean it and inspect it for leaks as well. after that there are no other alternatives for fuel leaks. post your progress with pictures. for the record you do not have to replace the two fuel tank vents. on a 98 SPX I believe that the fuel lines are not all 1/4" the supply and reserve are slightly larger.

+1
    I know the 96 xps have a fuel tank recall from previous experience. I wouldnt be surprised if your spx has the same recall. Maybe try calling a seadoo dealer and they can run your vin and tell you. It will keep you from possibly having to pay out of pocket for a new tank.

sorry for the late update--had some health issues, thanks to all who responded--it was gas leaking from the carb---rebuilt it, runs great...

Thread Information