Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

saying hello by potentially starting a sh*t storm

Hello All!! My name is Greg, I live in Florida and I am sorry for what I am about to do here. I love to fish offshore but I just sold my offshore boat, I could no longer justify $400 dolphin sandwiches. I have had a couple of older 2 stroke skis that we would play with in the rivers and lakes. Total of probably 150 hrs. on a ski in my life (they were for the kids). I sold the skis today too. Last weekend I took my 1997 zxi1100 out in the gulf to gather scallops, strapped a cooler on the back and took a rod with me. This is gonna be fun!!!! It was the first time I had been in salt with a ski. I have done a bit of kayak fishing. Can you see where I am headed? Yep gonna buy a new ski to fish off of. My biggest concern is reliability, I am leaning towards a naturally aspirated motor, leery of superchargers. I do not have a problem with left over stock. So what do ya all think? Who makes the most reliable ski for saltwater usage? I know this is a silly thing to ask but I"m doing it anyways. Now I am off to use the search function and try to learn while you have a spirited debate. Thanks for everyones time in advance.

Banned User
    +1
    I really think the Yamaha FX HO fits the bill for what you want to do.

+1
    +2 ----- I too sold my 26 foot cabin cruiser, and have just ventured in jetski fishing ... Yamaha FX HO is the way to go ... I took the Yamaha from Dana Point to Catalina Island, and back in rough seas (5 to 8 footer) with no issues, and still had 2 gallons of fuel left after going almost 90 miles round trip offshore when I got back to Dana Point.

Thanks for the comments. I am headed to Orlando tomorrow to poke around some dealers. I had been leaning towards a Kawi Ultra Lx because of the storage capacity and past experience with my bikes and the zxi never breaking. The 4 stroke Yamaha outboards seem to be great motors, sure wish I had paid more attention to skis. I wont miss burning a 100+ gallons a day!!! Can anyone recommend one service department in central Fl. over the others?

I have two 2012 Ultra LX's and love them. Feel free to have a look at my posts with pics of my set up. Full fishing rack and gps/sounder. I love the Yamahas too but just couldn't justify the extra coin. Here in Guam, I bought two over stock LXs for the price of on FX HO. They're great in big water, which we get a lot of here. The storage in the bow is great, but can make for a wet ride if you put too much weight up there.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by offcourse2 View Post
    Thanks for the comments. I am headed to Orlando tomorrow to poke around some dealers. I had been leaning towards a Kawi Ultra Lx because of the storage capacity and past experience with my bikes and the zxi never breaking. The 4 stroke Yamaha outboards seem to be great motors, sure wish I had paid more attention to skis. I wont miss burning a 100+ gallons a day!!! Can anyone recommend one service department in central Fl. over the others?

Another good choice.

+1
    I have the FX HO. I have found the engine to be pretty indestructible and I have really abused it. I got stuck in the mud and in my attempt to get out overheated to the tune of melting the plastic parts on the outside of the engine--luckily didn't hurt the hull. But the compression still checked out perfect when I brought it in for repair. Haven't had a problem since.

+1
    The Ultra LX is an extremely good decision. Largest fuel and storage capacity. That engine and the natural Yamaha engine are by far the two best and most reliable engines on the market. Both will give you all the life you could want out of your ski.

No manufacturer has a specific saltwater ski. The key will be in the post cleaning that will determine the life of the ski. With that being said, Yamaha has the top ratings when it comes to reliability in skis. Yes there are other skis that are reliable but the ratings associated with Yamaha come from years of reliability.

The ski that will give you the best stability and storage will be the Yamaha SUV. Yes I am a bit biased but hey- when you can load up your ski for an entire weekend with drinks, food, lawn chairs, a tent, fishing rods, and what ever else you may need my vote goes towards the SUV Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1623522_10203552816134116_7359610094026664817_n.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	336000

Well first things first, I really appreciate all of your answers and I am also pretty impressed with how well you all get along. I have seen these types of subjective threads on other forums go south very rapidly. I bought a 2000 SUV, found one that was damn near N.O.S. (50 hrs. and clean as a whistle). After looking around and running into a bunch of really nice guys who let me ride their non fishing rigs I had pretty much settled on a new FXHO. Then I ran across this SUV which leaves plenty of my budget for rigging. I now truly understand the term "couch". I will probably end up doing a four stroke conversion on this ski if I enjoy jet ski fishing as much as I think I will. I will be out on the Gulf scalloping and doing a little fishing tomorrow wish me luck! I am sure there will be plenty more questions coming up soon. As a matter of fact here is the first one. Anybody on here near Crystal River? It would be nice to have someone else with a ski to fish with. I am trying to talk my friends into grabbing a ski.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information