2005 gtx limited questions

Hello everyone, I just started riding skis a couple months ago. I got a 2001 gtx 2 stroke and it has been a great ski. Decided to buy another ski and found a mint 2005 gtx limited 215 with 55 hours. It was a original owner(guy is 68 years old) and fresh water only ski. He gave me all the receipts from the work he had done to ski. Like replace batt, replaced steering cable, oil change, and every couple years a check up and lube. Nothing about charger washers or anything else. It was running a little rough when I first took it out so I changed plugs and it is running great. Goes around 66-68 mph at around 8k rpms. I have read alot about ceramic washers breaking and was wondering. Should I wait till I hit 100 hours to change washers out? And is there anything else you would suggest I do to this ski before I put alot of time on it? And I think his dealer he was using was using mobile one 0w20 for the engine oil. Should I keep using this or switch? Thanks for any advise.
    Nick

Replace the washers now. I would not take the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Yimyam View Post
    Hello everyone, I just started riding skis a couple months ago. I got a 2001 gtx 2 stroke and it has been a great ski. Decided to buy another ski and found a mint 2005 gtx limited 215 with 55 hours. It was a original owner(guy is 68 years old) and fresh water only ski. He gave me all the receipts from the work he had done to ski. Like replace batt, replaced steering cable, oil change, and every couple years a check up and lube. Nothing about charger washers or anything else. It was running a little rough when I first took it out so I changed plugs and it is running great. Goes around 66-68 mph at around 8k rpms. I have read alot about ceramic washers breaking and was wondering. Should I wait till I hit 100 hours to change washers out? And is there anything else you would suggest I do to this ski before I put alot of time on it? And I think his dealer he was using was using mobile one 0w20 for the engine oil. Should I keep using this or switch? Thanks for any advise.
    Nick
    Do not ride it one more minute before you overhaul that supercharger. Just my opinion.

Ok I will. That's what I was thinking. Just didnot want to be fixing it things before they break. But sounds like in this case that would be the best case.
    Thanks for replys.

+1
    A couple of things on these year models to check are exhaust valves (check serials for two piece valve), the flywheel bolts have been known the back themselves out and obviously the washers on the supercharger. Any one of these problems can cause a really bad day.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Yimyam View Post
    Ok I will. That's what I was thinking. Just didnot want to be fixing it things before they break. But sounds like in this case that would be the best case.
    Thanks for replys.
    $400 now or $2000+ later. It's your choice

7. +1 by:

+1
    Completely rebuild the s/c new bearings and washers.

Thread Information