Thread: Hull Repair

Hull Repair

Well only the third time out and I have to repair the hull. Wife wanted to load the ski onto the trailer herself and after a lot of instruction she missed and took a nice gouge out of the hull. Can I just use a local fiberglass/gelcoat guy to fix it up or is this an odd ball material. Any help appreciated.

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    Rockwall , Texas
    What country are u in

Without seeing any pics of damage if it's less that an inch wide Just fill it with a good 2 part marine epoxy filler if it's wider use a layer of fiberglass with the Epoxy...
    Have a detail sander to smooth and blend it in then prime and match paint ,lots of YouTube DIY vids to watch and learn to do a decent job maybe not a professional but why throw $ away and besides it below the water line won't be visible ...

I'm in the US. It's about 1.5 inch in diameter. Going to let the professionals fix it up. Need to schedule that and the first service for next week.

Virginia, LKA, Colonial Beach
    Your ski is NOT exactly fiberglass, but rather SMC (sheet molded compound) and you should get an SMC repair kit, its a 2 part epoxy and some glass mat, it will work much better and last forever, I had to fix a 12f where someone had bummped into the left rear corner and punched a hole right through the hull.

It's only smc on top deck not the hull. Standard fiberglass repair applies to hull.Pbc where you located ?

I'm in west palm beach area. I found a guy who came highly recommended and will make it look new again but it's going to cost me. If it wasn't such a new ski I would most likely do a home patch up job as it's not that bad.

the bottom is regular fiberglas so polyester resin and gelcoat will fix it, the top deck is SMC and is best fixed with epoxy.

9. +1 by:

Thread Information