+1

New project xl1200

Im picking up a 99 xl1200 with 64 hours and a bad(shockingly I know) # 3 cylinder/piston. Looks like it was shut down soon enough to not have much futher damage, but I wont know till I get her home and look a little better. Low hours skis are hard to find in my area, running or not. If anyone has a good cylinder for sale let me know. I wouldnt mind doing a d plate and chip too.

Will post more pics when shes home.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wave runner.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	335466

+1
    I got it home and im happy. The guy put in a new solas prop last year, rebuilt the carbs, and installed a couple new exhaust pieces. Only real damage is to the piston. The lower part of the jug got cracked so Ill replace it too. Ski is in great shape overall. I cant wait to stuff it back together and hit the water with it.

+1
    Be sure to pressure test it to ensure you don't have any air leaks(like rear seal) which would take out another piston.

+1
    Will do, thanks

+1
    So, to anyone out there reading this. My rear cylinder cracked at the very bottom, so I cant have it replated. SBT(horror stories abound), has a full set of cylinders for 700 or 1 for 325. Im not finding any used cylinders that don't require replating. Is there a source out there Im not aware of?

have you called Millennium Technologies, i had deep gouges and scratches in my cylinder and they were able to fix and replate the cylinder. i'm sure they would weld and hone/bore the cylinder aswell and then replate

+1
    Ill post some pics later of the damage and see what the collective wisdom thinks.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by skyshark186 View Post
    So, to anyone out there reading this. My rear cylinder cracked at the very bottom, so I cant have it replated. SBT(horror stories abound), has a full set of cylinders for 700 or 1 for 325. Im not finding any used cylinders that don't require replating. Is there a source out there Im not aware of?
    They can be repaired and then replated. I would not go the SBT route for a motor with plated cylinders.

Why does the 3rd cylinder seem to be the one that goes? I am redoing my 3rd cylinder as well

+1
    Its closest to the rear main seal, which gets more loading than the front seat and leaks air when worn. Also, it is usually the cyl that an oil line could pull off the easiest. Both air leaks, and lack of oil will kill the cyl/piston quickly.

Thread Information