Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

who has dropped cable?

in favor of netflix, hulu plus, amazon...

my wife and i were looking at the cable bill with after tax is about $175 a month. here is what we have with time warner

2 boxes - 1 HD DVR, 1 HD Box
    internet - 30 down/5 up which is increasing to 200 down/20 up for the same $$
    modem lease - meh
    whole house DVR - watch recorded shows on the other box
    HBO and Starz are in the package.
    Showtime was 3 bucks a month for 12 months
    Epix is 5 bucks a month for 12 months.

We are getting the HD box free or the bill would be closer to $185 a month

That being said this is what we like..

I like HBO and AMC gotta have my walking dead.. i can live w/o HBO
    The wife likes everything that is not a premium addon.
    The super one AKA kiddo is all about disney jr and nickelodeon.

i know netflix let the viacom contract drop so no more nickelodeon. not sure if thats changed recently. never had hulu or any other streaming service.

i have thought about getting 3 roku 3 boxes since we have 3 TVs good internet speed and call it done..just dont know if that is a viable solution with the channels we like.
    Last edited by liquid chicken; 07-11-2014 at 03:20 PM.

+1
    I think cable is a rip-off and most of the content sucks. I recently had this discussion with local cable provider (Brighthouse) and told them after 15 years I was getting tired of their product and the ridiculous cost. Basically 90% re-runs is what it is, plus saturated with nearly constant commercials on every channel. And if you tune in on Saturday morning you'll be greeted with hour-long info-mercials selling Shark Vacuum Cleaners on every channel.

So, I wanted to know what it would cost just for high speed internet only without cable, because I can watch the same re-runs on Netflix for less than $10 a month. They told me I would only save $40 a month without cable. So basically, they have now jacked up the cost of internet so high that they don't care if we drop cable or not, and they plan on screwing us with that for the next 10 years.

+1
    I got rid of cable over a year ago when I realized I was paying $160 a month and hadn't turned it on in two months. I only have internet, Netflix and hulu.
    I use Apple TV boxes, about the same as the roku box but works with iPhones. I haven't looked back since either

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by KawiMike View Post
    I got rid of cable over a year ago when I realized I was paying $160 a month and hadn't turned it on in two months. I only have internet, Netflix and hulu.
    I use Apple TV boxes, about the same as the roku box but works with iPhones. I haven't looked back since either
    What are you playing for high-speed internet?

+1
    $60 a month for local cable internet. I have my own modem/router so no lease fee.

+1
    Same as Mike. $62.99 for the "middle" of Cox interwebs and since I use it for work, I claim it.

I have a newer DVD player that connects to my wifi and has a screen to sign on to NetFlix. However, I haven't signed up for anything like that yet. I have what my friend calls "peasant vision," an antenna on my chimney. Most of the time, I'm okay with that. But I cannot follow when my friends talk about programs that are only cable/NetFlix.

+1
    $72.99 for cox internet...they have raised it twice in two years without any increase in speed. Since I cancelled my bundle of phone and tv I am no longer immune from their periodic rate increases. Bastards. When I had the bundle with all 3 services my bill was $220 a month...and I had no movie channels. So glad to now have DirecTv and Magic Jack house phone service.

"Peasant vision"...lol...love it.

+1
    I love my Directv have had it for 16 plus years!
    What sucks for me is internet service only way to get it thru my local phone provider is to have a landline that I pay $35 a month for but internet and landline are on seperate lines ran to the house.....basturds!
    If any of you have some suggestions Iam all ears really don't need landline OOPS Directv connected to landline.

I dropped cable in 1999. I have been running with just high speed internet since then. You can find all of TV on the internet with commercials pre-edited out. I do have a digital antenna to watch football.

I have a home media server running sickbeard and related services, and it is way better than any other option out there. The learning curve is a little tricky if you're not a techie, but worth the effort.

+1
    No cable here for about 3 years... currently use netflix, local channels w/old fashion antennae, recently added amazon last year. Buy used DVDs on ebay. No cable, no regrets. I have to high speed internet for work anyway.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information