Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

RXT hoodshock repair

I own a 2007 RXT and have had problems with the hood shock, I have relocated the bottom bracket as per the service bulletin and checked to make sure the upper plate was tighten securely. The gas shock seems to work fine. But it "pops" off on the upper pin. Someone had mentioned that they drilled through the upper shock and mounted a bolt &nut through the upper plate. Would it be possible for someone to give me a detailed step-by-step of what size bolt,and where they drilled out the upper plate. I don't want to drill the plate,then find out it's binding,or not allowing the gas shock to decompress fully.

On another matter, I store my ski in a shed,which sits on concrete blocks to make it level,but that leaves a 19" height difference between the shed floor and the ground. I mounted a 2500ld rhino hand winch,and some ATV ramps,and modified the centre ramp with plywood,so I can put the front jack wheel down. Im using a 1/2" electric drill to drive the hand winch ,but due to the sag of the ramps or the overall height ,it starts to power out when the ski is about 3/4 of the way up the ramp. I was thinking of reinforcing the aluminum ramps with plywood,so they wouldn't sag,and was going to go to an 110Volt electric winch(the shed has 110V power) and bolt it with steel plate to the floor. the electric winch is rated at 1500lbs....do you think that sounds like enough power to haul it up the 19" incline(RXT weighs in at 900lbs?)

Also when lowering the ski on the ramps,the locking mechanism let go and the ski defended quickly,but it held when I cranked it up the ramps...would a 110v electric winch have a better braking system?

thanks.....

+1
    The shock will pop if the entire bracket is loose. Check the forward most bolts and nuts on the bracket way up front. It is difficult to see and access the area I am talking about.

Bolt #18 and nut #20 http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....T---SHOCK-ASSY.

Thanks, I will take a more in depth look tomorrow morning. It felt tight,but will try #18, and #19...and any other bolts I can fit a stubby wrench onto.

Quote Originally Posted by abseakayak View Post
    ...I have relocated the bottom bracket as per the service bulletin and checked to make sure the upper plate was tighten securely...
    Could you post this bulletin?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by VaRedneck View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by abseakayak View Post
    ...I have relocated the bottom bracket as per the service bulletin and checked to make sure the upper plate was tighten securely...
    Could you post this bulletin?
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=104232

Why do you supposed it doesn't include the pre '08 models?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jpt7779 View Post
    The shock will pop if the entire bracket is loose. Check the forward most bolts and nuts on the bracket way up front. It is difficult to see and access the area I am talking about.

Bolt #18 and nut #20 http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....T---SHOCK-ASSY.

I relocated the bottom bracket on my old '07 RXT 215 and it still kept popping off.. I noticed the top bracket was loose, took the whole assembly out to tighten it and realized that it was in the wrong way (someone must have had it apart before) and the top bracket was reversed, I corrected it and tightened it and it never came off again!

On the two '05 RXT's I've run into a coupla probs with the lid/strut assembly.

The cir-clip holding the linkage to the lid...sucks. What a complete cheapass way to rely on them staying in place. I ended up cutting some threads onto the linkage and replaced the cir-clip with a nylon lock nut.

On one ski the strut's never been a prob..the other....so much force was applied....sideways to the lid that it eventually broke the lid where the linkage goes through.

The bases of the struts on both skis look to be placed exactly the same. linkage assy exactly the same....loose but placement/alignment the same. The thing that was different...was the stresses showing on the lid were different.

Since all this...I've had the one lid replaced because it finally broke at the eye were the linkage goes through. When the ski came back new....you could see the stressed area exactly the same as before. mech said all was as it should be, yeah..right.

I then spent the better part of an afternoon..upside down and sideways...assed over through the storage bin trying to take that linkage apart and the re-assembling it into a slightly different alignment.

It works....not as well/cleanly as the other ski...but it doesn't apply the stresses it used to. I have hopes that it'll last...not putting my paycheck on it but...

Long story short....the two strut/linkage assemblies aren't assembled in the same alignment. But they work.

+1
    Mine would pop off and bend the bracket, there is my solution still works 4 years later. http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=135967

Bolt and nut #18&20 ,were indeed loose,tightened them and also changed out to a napa replacement shock. thank you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information