Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

02 Virage 800Di fuel pump question

I have a 02 Virage 800 DI that I put the new flywheel back on last night. I has set 3 years and I thought at the time the fuel pump worked by doing the brown wire jump. When I tried to start it would not crank unless I put some gas in the throttle body but then would soon die. I thought I would check the fuel pump by the brown wire jump and I can hear a slight click but it I can not hear it running and there is no psi. I do see a spark on the wire jumped to the brown wire when I ground it so it is getting power. Could it be a bad pump, could the pump siting for 3 years lock it up. What is the next step I should take? I know in the 2001 TXi there is a inline fuse does the 800 DI have one to and if so were is it located?
    Thanks,
    Doug

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    There is a fuse or circuit breaker, same on all Ficht engines.

If there are dual push button circuit breakers, one of them is for the fuel pump.

Certainly it is possible for old gasoline to gum up a fuel pump. The entire fuel tank probably needs cleaning in the inside.

+1
    I had a extra fuel pump and just hooked it up and did the brown wire jump and I could hear it come on. The pressure regulator had come off and caused the Virage it came off of to run lean…..RIP. I thought I would just RR the pump, always a fun time and put the newer working one in. I did and then hooked up the Kawasaki 16162-3701 inline pressure regulator. With motor off and brown wire jump I get 30 psi with the clam between the schrader valve and inline pressure regulator I get 32psi. the only way it seems to crank it is to get the psi to 30 with brown jump then it will start but I see the psi keep going down and in 1 to 2 min or so it goes to 0 and the motor shuts down.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by macdoo View Post
    I had a extra fuel pump and just hooked it up and did the brown wire jump and I could hear it come on. The pressure regulator had come off and caused the Virage it came off of to run lean…..RIP. I thought I would just RR the pump, always a fun time and put the newer working one in.

I did and then hooked up the Kawasaki 16162-3701 inline pressure regulator.

With motor off and brown wire jump I get 30 psi with the clam between the schrader valve and inline pressure regulator I get 32psi.

the only way it seems to crank it is to get the psi to 30 with brown jump then it will start but I see the psi keep going down and in 1 to 2 min or so it goes to 0 and the motor shuts down.
    You cannot have both the OEM Polaris pressure regulator and the Kawasaki inline regulator. One or the other, not both.

Some of these Kawasaki regulators seem to not actually flow any fuel, so the result is simply stall pressure from the fuel pump and no actual fuel circulation back into the fuel tank return line. 30+ PSI at the schrader valve tee is an indication of blocked fuel return. The Polaris electric fuel pump maxes out around 30PSI. Correct fuel pressure in Polaris Ficht is around 23PSI plus or minus a few.

Fuel pressure dying off after a minute or so suggests the actual fuel pump motor is dying or the electrical connections are resistive. Sometimes pin-40 in the large EMM connector gets burned and goes bad. Remove and inspect both the EMM pin and the wire harness socket for the Brown wire.

+1
    I just had one Kawasaki 16162-3701 inline pressure regulator hooked up. I have a 2nd Virage that had a bad flywheel and I used some of the parts off it to test the one I'm working on. I did change out the LR-503 Start/Stop module controls Start/Stop engine functions on the 2 nd Virage i just to see if it made a difference and the bilge pump came on and would not cut off. I put the old one back on and the bilge pump stopped running. What does that tell you?

+1
    I just had one Kawasaki 16162-3701 inline pressure regulator hooked up. I have a 2nd Virage that had a bad flywheel and I used some of the parts off it to test the one I'm working on. I did change out the LR-503 Start/Stop module controls Start/Stop engine functions on the 2 nd Virage i just to see if it made a difference and the bilge pump came on and would not cut off. I put the old one back on and the bilge pump stopped running. What does that tell you?

Bilge pump runs continuously means the LR module is bad. Orange wire output stuck in the ON mode, which it should not do unless the engine is rotating.

+1
    It seems that as long as I have the brown wire jump the ski runs and is at 30psi. When it is running and i take it off it goes down to 0. I have a extra 800DI should I just switch the EMM and see if that is the problem? If that does not fix it I have a extra wiring harness. Both seem like a lot of work. It would be nice to have a youtube video of how to check and the location to check for trouble shooting. I think my fear or unwillingness to use the volt meter is holding be back for fixing this and a number of others skis I have.

I looked at all 8 Virage skis I have and found some did not have the fuel line hooke up right. By the diagram below the Top fuel running off the injectors is the return line and should be hooked to the schrader valve then hooked into the right fuel tip on the gas tank. The bottom line running to each injector is the fuel supply line and is hooked to the LEFT fuel tip on the gas tank "the larger tip"
    Side note
    I ran a ski ll last year with the fuel lines in reverse and it ran great what gives?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-07-14 at 4.11.42 PM.png 
Views:	59 
Size:	227.3 KB 
ID:	335766

+1
    I hooked up the #2 EMM from my other 2002 800DI. What happen…it would not start but the PSI did go up to 26psi when it was trying to start compared to the "0" on the #1 EMM that was original equipment. I also found out that the original EMM was replaced in 2008 by the sticker on the side. By the PSI showing up on the #2 EMM what does that tell me? Should I replace the injectors and see if it cranks with the matching set from #2 800 DI?
    Last edited by macdoo; 07-14-2014 at 07:48 PM.

+1
    ... I looked at all 8 Virage skis I have and found some did not have the fuel line hooked up right. By the diagram below the Top fuel running off the injectors is the return line and should be hooked to the schrader valve then hooked into the right fuel tip on the gas tank.
    The bottom line running to each injector is the fuel supply line and is hooked to the LEFT fuel tip on the gas tank "the larger tip"
    Side note

I ran a ski ll last year with the fuel lines in reverse and it ran great what gives?

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-07-14 at 4.11.42 PM.png 
Views:	59 
Size:	227.3 KB 
ID:	335766

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	118.2 KB 
ID:	335778
    The upper connections on the Ficht fuel injectors are the fuel RETURN connections. Schrader valve tee is in the fuel return hose.

Note the convoluted plastic sleeving which is required to prevent the edge of the injector bracket from abrading the fuel return hose and possibly causing a fuel leak and potential engine fire. This was a service bulletin from Polaris.

Sometimes the metal Schrader valve piece becomes loose in the molded plastic tee. If the metal part can be spun by hand in the plastic (try to modestly over-tighten the plastic valve cap and see what happens) it is not trustworthy and should be replaced. If it ever lets go completely while the engine is running it will spray pressurized gasoline into the engine compartment, with risk of explosion or fire.

Views:	43 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	335779
    The smaller (outside diameter) black plastic fuel hose connectors are the upper fuel return connections.

Views:	49 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	335780
    In this photo the fuel return hose is on the LEFT, closest to the vent fitting.

Embossed into the top of each plastic molded nipple is a triangle arrow showing fuel flow direction.

My understanding is that the fuel supply connections are at the bottom to reduce the chances of an air bubble being trapped inside the fuel injectors. Fuel flows in the bottom, circulates through the injectors and exits at the upper fitting.

Reversing the fuel flow is not really a problem as long as the fuel flow is enough to purge air out of the injectors. Obviously it is best if the fuel flow is in the factory configuration.
    Last edited by K447; 07-14-2014 at 06:33 PM.

+1
    ... I think my fear or unwillingness to use the volt meter is holding be back for fixing this and a number of others skis I have...
    Being able to understand and trace the electrical stuff in these machines greatly reduces the mysteriousness of the diagnostics and repair.

Not just in Ficht engines but also with CDI based systems on carburetor engines.

Plus all the weird things that can happen with solenoids, switches and sundry electrical stuff.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information