Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Replaced Ultra 150 Cable w/ SBT, Doesn't Fit?

Afternoon All,

I noticed my oil pump cable was fraying where it hooks to the oil pump. I decided to replace it. I decided to save some cash and order the SBT replacement for the OEM cable. The OEM part # is 54012-3768 and I replaced it with the SBT part # 26-4233 found on this page. http://www.shopsbt.com/kaw-2003-ultr...4012-3768.html

Cable goes to a 2003. Problem is, when I go to hook up the cable there is not enough length in it to properly hook it to the oil pump or throttle pulley and have it extend to where it mounts on the bracket. Essentially the cable seems too short. I have it routed up through the steeling pole, but not hooked up yet on the top end to the actual throttle handle and I have the cable at that end pushed in all the way to the little nub (throttle and oil pump pulley end pulled full out). In this condition, it will NOT fit. Am I missing an adjustment somewhere? I have the lock and adjusting nuts turned all the way to the top of the adjuster in attempt to put as much "slack" in the line when I mount it as possible and it still seems nearly an inch too short. The package it came in and part itself have the proper number printed on them.. So either I'm missing something or I got the wrong part with the right number stamped on it which blows my mind. Typically that wouldn't, but it's been a long summer of issues like this which have prevented it from hitting the water thus far.

Also on a side note, one of the screws stripped out on the plastic handlebar cover pretty bad when taking this off. I believe I need to replace it or live with it having 3 of 4 screws and rattling around like junk. Not happening. I only seem to find this part in conjunction with the pad that goes on top on parts site for over $100, anyone know where I can get just the plastic pieces?

Guess I'll take the bike out to blow some steam off. Maybe I'll ride through a sprinkler or something so I can say I at least got wet. Looking forward to your responses. Thanks!

what year ski are you trying to put this cable on? They updated the cable setups in 02 and made them shorter. If the part numbers are correct and you have the correct cable contact sbt. I try to stay away from there parts I recommend wsm.

if you need the two plastic covers pm me, I have a few extra sets ill let go for cheap.

+1
    Are both throttle and oil pump cables the same length? Can you cut the cable housing?

what year ski are you trying to put this cable on? They updated the cable setups in 02 and made them shorter. If the part numbers are correct and you have the correct cable contact sbt. I try to stay away from there parts I recommend wsm.
    A 2003. The part numbers match up, part number is posted in the original post.

Are both throttle and oil pump cables the same length? Can you cut the cable housing?
    I believe the oil pump cable is longer. I'll have to go out there and look again to be 100% sure. I don't understand what cutting would do (As in I don't understand the procedure). I'm assuming this means cutting the protective coating the cable is placed within to allow it to pay more out. Not sure where you would make the cuts to do that, it seems to be a pretty tough casing. I'm sure it could be cut with some effort.

I'm gathering there isn't some hidden adjustment I'm missing. I didn't really expect there to be, but I'd be less baffled at that than getting the wrong part with the correct number stamped on it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake51 View Post
    I don't understand what cutting would do (As in I don't understand the procedure). I'm assuming this means cutting the protective coating the cable is placed within to allow it to pay more out. Not sure where you would make the cuts to do that, it seems to be a pretty tough casing. I'm sure it could be cut with some effort.
    You could cut the casing with a Dremel tool or similar, but you'd have to be very careful not to damage the core.

+1
    As your old one did not break. Lay them side by side, see if it is the right length.

Correction. My ski is a 2002 which makes a big difference since after this year they shortened the cables.

Turns out despite being listed as a 2002 cable, the cable I received was the newer shortened version. with the plastic mounts. I called the dealer, and they sent me the proper 2002 cable with the stainless mounts. I put the cable on this evening, and now I can get it onto the pump pulley and on to the bracket, but it STILL is not long enough on the oil pump end. In order to get the throttle to open fully by pulling the throttle, I have to have it just barely resting on the idle screw. At this position, the upper adjusting nut on the oil pump bracket is holding on to the cable adjuster by about maybe 1/2 a turn before it dumps it loose. At this adjustment the oil pump pulley hits the stop just as the throttle makes it to wide open. But this leaves no room to back off on the oil pump a bit to give it the tiny gap between the pulley and stop for proper adjustment. Which has me wondering if the pump is even closing far enough for the proper position at idle. I compared the cable to my OEM one, at full extension the oil pump cable on the replacement is short by maybe a couple of centimeters. The base of it's oil pump eyelet meets the base of the original's oil pump eyelet.

This is driving me up the wall. This is about to be the 3rd weekend in a row that the throttle cable has derailed as far as water plans. Not to mention the headache. I'm considering taking the seat off, tying string to my fingers and the pulleys, and manipulating the carb and pump myself.

Did you install the oil pump cable correctly? They can be kind of hard to install correctly.

I have a replacement cable from wsm and have no problems at all with it. Maybe you should return the sbt and order a wsm cable?

Did you install the oil pump cable correctly? They can be kind of hard to install correctly.
    The oil pump has never been removed. Ordering a different cable is my next course of action. I called the manufacturer, and they said they have "NEVER" had an issue with the Ultra 150 cables. Assuming the cable actually would work, I have no idea what I could be doing wrong. Is there any risk from operating the ski other than fouled plugs from running it with the pump out putting on the rich side?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information