Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned User
    +1

SBT ignition kits

Has anyone out there bought and installed one of these kits? How did it work out? Any issues?

+1
    I just bought and installed a kit for my 98 SLTH 700. I just got it running yesterday and so far so good. I still have to get it in the water but so far it starts right up every time idles great and throttle response seems perfect. As long as it works I’m happy but here are a couple things I noticed.

1st The kit does not come with any installation instructions. So if a customer does not know that you need to eliminate the thin ground wire going to the battery they could burn up their Stator. Also the CDI has a 2nd Grey wire for an RPM limiter that some models do not use.

2nd Just as another member here has mentioned about his kit he received from Martos, the SBT kit also uses an aftermarket Stator. There are no Part #’s or any identifying marks stamped into the Stator. The Coil and CDI however are both OEM.

3rd The color of the wires are a few shades different between the CDI and Stator. Not enough to get them mixed up or anything, just interesting.

Its not as clear in the picture as it is in person but the CDI Red wire is Red but the Stator Red wire is more Purpleish. The CDI's wire is more Brown and the Stator is more Tan. The Green are also slightly different.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Santa_Fe_South-20140718-00122.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	336376

Last and most importantly, the White heat shield fabric around the wires near the Stator is too long. If you try to install it as is, you will not be able to get the rubber grommet close enough to the Stator to secure the wires safely against the back wall of the Flywheel housing. The wires will stick out could get cut by the teeth on the flywheel. (Don't ask me how I know. Lets just say both Stators I received were this way)

I had to carefully cut about an inch of the fabric off to get the grommet close enough to remove all the slack during installation.

In the picture below you can see the heat shield is much shorter on my old Stator (top) then it is on the new one.

Name:	Santa_Fe_South-20140715-00121.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	336375

3. +1 by:

+1
    sounds like if you need to upgrade your ignition you better get on this forum so you don't screw up your brand new parts!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Would you be willing to write up a detailed how-to and post it here?

We are all relieved to have a source for these red domestic engine Gen III updated ignitions.

It is unfortunate that the current SBT 'kit' falls slightly short of the mark. Eventually SBT may correct the production issues and provide complete installation information.

In the meantime, the more information we can put together here, the more success other Polaris owners will have using these parts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plut View Post
    I just bought and installed a kit for my 98 SLTH 700. I just got it running yesterday and so far so good. I still have to get it in the water but so far it starts right up every time idles great and throttle response seems perfect. As long as it works Iím happy but here are a couple things I noticed.

1st The kit does not come with any installation instructions. So if a customer does not know that you need to eliminate the thin ground wire going to the battery they could burn up their Stator. Also the CDI has a 2nd Grey wire for an RPM limiter that some models do not use.

2nd Just as another member here has mentioned about his kit he received from Martos, the SBT kit also uses an aftermarket Stator. There are no Part #ís or any identifying marks stamped into the Stator. The Coil and CDI however are both OEM.

3rd The color of the wires are a few shades different between the CDI and Stator. Not enough to get them mixed up or anything, just interesting.

Its not as clear in the picture as it is in person but the CDI Red wire is Red but the Stator Red wire is more Purpleish. The CDI's wire is more Brown and the Stator is more Tan. The Green are also slightly different.

Name:	Santa_Fe_South-20140718-00122.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	336376

Last and most importantly, the White heat shield fabric around the wires near the Stator is too long. If you try to install it as is, you will not be able to get the rubber grommet close enough to the Stator to secure the wires safely against the back wall of the Flywheel housing. The wires will stick out could get cut by the teeth on the flywheel. (Don't ask me how I know. Lets just say both Stators I received were this way)

I had to carefully cut about an inch of the fabric off to get the grommet close enough to remove all the slack during installation.

In the picture below you can see the heat shield is much shorter on my old Stator (top) then it is on the new one.

Name:	Santa_Fe_South-20140715-00121.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	336375

Banned User
    +1
    Im pretty sure the Polaris ignition update kit instructions are posted in the tech tips section. If not i can dig up a copy of it somewhere.

+1
    K447, Here are the instructions I used from one of your posts back in '09.

Banned User
    +1
    Thats the page I was referring to

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    We are all relieved to have a source for these red domestic engine Gen III updated ignitions.

It is unfortunate that the current SBT 'kit' falls slightly short of the mark. Eventually SBT may correct the production issues and provide complete installation information.

In the meantime, the more information we can put together here, the more success other Polaris owners will have using these parts.
    Yes, VERY grateful that SBT took on this Polaris problem. It is now "the only game in town" for these Polaris ignition systems/parts. The only failure we know of seemed to be one signal/voltage missing or just too low-not at all impossible to work through. We need someone with a strong electrical background/proper testing equipment to maybe look into the failed part.

The good news is SBT has a working relationship with PVL.

10. +1 by:

+1
    Update: After a year and only about 20 hours of ride time the Stator has failed. Looking at the Stator it appears to me that the Epoxy used is not able to tolerate the heat and becomes soft during operation. Then with the vibration of the motor the screws began to work them selves out. I can't tell for sure but I do not see that they used any Loctite on the 4 screws that hold the windings to the Stator Frame.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0429.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	366852   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0426.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	113.6 KB 
ID:	366851   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0427.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	366850  

+1
    Thanks for sharing Im about to install one ill make sure to loc tite the bolts.

13. +1 by:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information