Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Total bonehead move (advice )

Rebuilt entire motor got it back in and looked on table and all that was left was washers , thought for a moment and mother $&@@ . I did not put in piston wrist pin washers . My questions is can I fly with out them ? Or a complete tear down once again ??? They were not in the piston kit or in the bearings I bought hence why i forgot

+1
    I have seen some engines that they were not put in and they seem to do ok. Also some aftermarket pistons don't have enough clearance between the rod/bearing to use the oem washers. Guess you will have to make the final call. Tommy Jordan

+1
    Got to figure is it worth it if things go south.

Yeah it's a crap shoot as this point might not be an issue at all or might be a huge issue , I used pro x pistons and can't remember the gap spacing I remember a tiny bit of play nothing alarming though

+1
    there are 2 different wist pin bearing out there 1 use's washer and other is wider so washers not needed,why washer? seem years ago they found some engine could spin more rpm's before bearing failing by controlling side to side on small end of crank with washers and get 100 rpm more,so if you used aftermarket bearing most likely washer not needed
    if your racing ski or high HP and beating hell out of it -washers,if just rec. rider don't worry
    I've used both and see little or no difference

Thanks for the advice I used wsm piston bearings

QUOTE=chip;2420919]there are 2 different wist pin bearing out there 1 use's washer and other is wider so washers not needed,why washer? seem years ago they found some engine could spin more rpm's before bearing failing by controlling side to side on small end of crank with washers and get 100 rpm more,so if you used aftermarket bearing most likely washer not needed
    if your racing ski or high HP and beating hell out of it -washers,if just rec. rider don't worry
    I've used both and see little or no difference[/QUOTE]

+1
    If you're like me when it comes to building engines, it'll bug the dog snot not knowing for sure. When in doubt tear it down, cheap insurance.

+1
    wsm kits use fat bearing,most time there pins on bearing are longer =more area

There was a reason the design required them, likely to alleviate movement of the wrist pin bearing or prevent the bearing from contacting the piston.

I'd agree with SVOHKidd here.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by chip View Post
    wsm kits use fat bearing,most time there pins on bearing are longer =more area
    Chip is right, your fine they will not fit with the wsm wrist pin bearings. They are bigger and account for the washers. Ride it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information