when to make decision to scrap engine?

after soaking a 1200 with some oil and getting no where, I finally pulled the head and found this
    dont know much about this sort of thing but pretty sure its shot....do I consider resleeving and new pistons/rings? or...whole new top end? or...new(used but good) engine?...I'm sure I MUST PULL IT OUT AT LEAST, THEN MAYBE PULL OFF TOP AND SEE WHAT LOWER LOOKS LIKE? i'M THINKING WHEN IT WAS WINTERIZED, HE LEFT HOSE ON...sorry 'bout caps...mistake
    thanks for any insight!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	head 1.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	335606   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	head 2.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	335607  

I would guess you had a gasket leak and the water entered the cylinders possible that it was salt water , and or water was turned off after stopping when winterizing in any sense cylinders can be replated but with the amount of rust the crank is toast .! 450 new crank 220 each cylinder plated pistons 300.00 head shaved 80 bucks it will keep Adding up toss it or send on for a rebuild part out carbs and or power valves but again depends on rust

Quote Originally Posted by phumb View Post
    after soaking a 1200 with some oil and getting no where, I finally pulled the head and found this
    dont know much about this sort of thing but pretty sure its shot....do I consider resleeving and new pistons/rings? or...whole new top end? or...new(used but good) engine?...I'm sure I MUST PULL IT OUT AT LEAST, THEN MAYBE PULL OFF TOP AND SEE WHAT LOWER LOOKS LIKE? i'M THINKING WHEN IT WAS WINTERIZED, HE LEFT HOSE ON...sorry 'bout caps...mistake
    thanks for any insight!

thanks jvis...your pretty sure the crank is toast?...I guess the only way to know is pulling engine and removing top?...dont think it was a gasket leak...petty sure left water on....thanks again!

I sank mine in salt a few years ago. You'll need a new crank, almost positive. I filled mine with oil to prevent too much damage. Didn't matter, any bearing was essentially shot at that point.

I did reuse almost all of the rest of the components (cases, cylinders, head). Get some CLR from Lowes and soak it for a day or so.

In either case, if you are rebuilding, i'd replace the bearings.

cylinders will clean up with a bore and cases will clean up. Crank is toast but may still be fine for a bore

I think what we all mean is hone the cylinders not bore diamond cut fine finish , if you bore and to much plating is taken off ur in deep pocket area ! Hone first

[QUOTE=cleetus;2421088]cylinders will clean up with a bore and cases will clean up. Crank is toast but may still be fine for a bore[/QUOTE

Banned User
    +1
    If the cylinders are rusty it means they aren't plated, they are steel sleeves.

Thread Information