Help finding leak

Ok, I'm about to pull my hair out with this... But I figured that I would hold off on that until i had a chance to ask you guys... Anyway - I have two 2001 GP800's. Ever since I have owned them (bought used), one has taken on water. Every time I pull them out of the water and open the drain plugs, the one sits there and dumps out water for probably 3 min's. and its HOT water.. open up the other one.... not a drop. Well recently I have had the unfortunate opportunity to have to rebuild the engine. while i had it out, i filled the hull almost all the way to the rim with water to look for the leak. nothing. not a drop. so then i figured that it had to be leaking from the engine itself. well then that will be resolved since we had to put all new gaskets and such on it with the rebuild.. right? wrong. it still takes on just as much water as before. I REALLY need to find this leak. not only does it use more gas, but its also like driving my dads old 86 thunderbird. jumping waves is like trying to launch that same thunderbird!! not to mention the damn thing nearly sinks coming down off of the wave! (total exaggeration, but you get my drift.) lol Any ideas on where i might look next?

Thanks in advance ~

probably a hose leak...just had similiar issue, check cooling system for either broken or clogged lines...stupid question but did you run on hose and look with seat off?

+1
    Sometimes you can have a pin hole or small crack in the big boot that connects the exhaust sections together. Put a towel under it and ride a short way. Wet towel, thats it. Also check exhaust rear connector or for a crack in the exhaust castings.

+1
    The first step you need to do since it's hot water is to take your ski to the boat launch, take your seat off, back your ski into the water while it's still connected to the trailer, start your ski and check for any hoses that are leaking. If needed give the ski some throttle.

all excellent suggestions. thank you very much guys.

+1
    First of all, the water is almost always hot just from touching engine components from sitting in the ski. second of all, I NEVER go on a test ride with the seat. Takes a while to get comfortable with but its the only way to find water leaks sometimes because the garden hose just doesn't create the pressure needed. I also recommend unbolting the battery box and letting it hang out of the way so you can see into the back of the ski where most of the leaks come from

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by GGG View Post
    First of all, the water is almost always hot just from touching engine components from sitting in the ski.
    If your engine components can make the water in your hull hot then you have a blockage in your cooling system.

Take me to the ski to the ramp, run it on the trailer, and watch for leaks. Cutting a hole in the back of the battery box will help seeing stuff in the back.

Thread Information