09 rxp dead in water

we were having fun in the river a few days ago, i shut my motor off to show my daughter and her friends a bald eagle nest. when i went to restart it all i got was the gauges coming to life for a few seconds, then nothing at all. no beeps, no starter, no fuel pump, nothing. i had the learner key with me so i tried that, same thing the gauges would come on for a few seconds then nothing. since then i load tested the battery after i disconnected it, it has 345 cranking amps, i then hooked the battery back up and tried the key from my 96 GTI, the weird part is this key isn't programmed for the RXP but it did the same thing as the two RXP keys. i'm going to try a second battery and check some electrical connections. i'm hoping its just a loose wire or a bad dess post. any help would definitely be appreciated.

+1
    I would look at the DESS post (what the key goes on) I know those go bad from time to time. It seems like it is not recognizing your key.

My 09 RXTX was the starter solenoid. Somewhat similar issues. I had started the ski 20 times over course of day and just fine. Then got partial dash and a humming sound from motor and no start at the dock to pull onto trailer. I then had to remove the negative cable from the battery to get it to stop humming and for the dash to go off. Then no key or anything worked. When I took off the solenoid one of the internal wire posts was GONE from decay. New solenoid and was running like a champ.

here's my first update. tried another battery, same thing. checked every wire plug that i could find. i cracked open a beer and turned down the radio. it sounds like the injectors click once and with my hand on the ECU i could feel it click a few times. i want to try a dess post next "i'm trying to find one with 4 wires to use" my 96 GTI has a three wire post, and my 96 SPX doesn't have a dess at all.

it was the dess post. running good now.

+1
    I wonder if I should just go ahead and change my DESS post just as a preventative maintenance measure.

*edit* and starter solenoid while I'm at it.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    kinda depends on your riding, and if there has been even the smallest sign of pending problems.

not a bad idea however to keep those two items in the ski storage with the other handtools needed to do the job IF required. Most certainly if you are going to find yourself a long way from anywhere.

8. +1 by:

+1
    Do you need to get your key re-programmed for a new DESS post?

+1
    No you do not. The dess post is just like a switch once key it popped on it.

Thread Information