Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Looking to buy an 05 Honda Aquatrax turbo model F-12X - need some help

Hey Guys,

I currently own a Kawasaki 900 ZXI (95 model). Fun little ski for sure but I'm wanting something that's got some more get up and go. I plan to let my son ride the 900 zxi with me.

So I'm looking at an 05 F12x Honda turbo charged model rated at 165 hp. It has 111 hours on it and the guy wants $3500 (trailer is additional cost).

Anyhow I have no idea what HP my 900 is so I'm not sure how to make any sort of comparison. Has anyone driven both of these? Can anyone give me some insight. Will it seem faster? Will I be impressed?

Anything specific to look out for when I go look at it this afternoon?

Thanks

+1
    That Kawi has 100 HP I think. I'm sure the turbo Honda will seem a lot faster. I had a 2004 F12X and the top speed was 58 and got there real quick with the punch of the turbo.

Oh nice. That's great to hear. Do they have turbo lag? If so does it kill the fun to ride kinda factor, like gassing it in turns at low speed etc? or is it a tiny turbo that spools fast and you don't even notice it?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MalcolmV8 View Post
    Oh nice. That's great to hear. Do they have turbo lag? If so does it kill the fun to ride kinda factor, like gassing it in turns at low speed etc? or is it a tiny turbo that spools fast and you don't even notice it?
    I never notice any fun being killed. I never rode the non turbo F12 so I really don't have anything to compare it to...I guess if I rode one without the turbo I would definitely notice there's no turbo. lol. I just know if I punched it coming out of the no wake zone the nose would come up and I would see sky for a couple of seconds until it leveled off. lol

Sounds perfect. I really appreciate the feedback.

YES... they have turbo lag, but that is a great price on the ski if it is really clean. Make sure there are no signs of rust or corrosion inside the hull anywhere, especially around the turbo and the oil lines feeding the turbo. If the inside of the hull is clean and rust free, then take it for a 30 min ride to make sure the turbo kicks properly and the ECM is not bad. You should get low 60's mph.

I really like the instant response of my non-turbo vs. the turbo, but it only gets low 50's mph, so you gain about 10mph top end, but loose the instant response. I'm probably selling my turbo for something like a Kawasaki STX-15F, or Yamaha VXR which gets into the 60's mph with no turbo or SC to worry about, instant response.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JonUF02 View Post

YES... they have turbo lag, but that is a great price on the ski if it is really clean. Make sure there are no signs of rust or corrosion inside the hull anywhere, especially around the turbo and the oil lines feeding the turbo. If the inside of the hull is clean and rust free, then take it for a 30 min ride to make sure the turbo kicks properly and the ECM is not bad. You should get low 60's mph.

I really like the instant response of my non-turbo vs. the turbo, but it only gets low 50's mph, so you gain about 10mph top end, but loose the instant response. I'm probably selling my turbo for something like a Kawasaki STX-15F, or Yamaha VXR which gets into the 60's mph with no turbo or SC to worry about, instant response.
    Man...I never got low 60's...maybe once or twice the speedo would bounce up to 60 for a split second but my gps always said max speed was 58.

I'm supposed to meet him at the lake either today or tomorrow for a test ride. I'm not overly concerned about going 60 vs 50 to be honest. We mostly love accelerating into wakes and jumping the little lake waves and such. We don't really just open up to top speed and cruise to the other side of the lake. We are mostly constantly gassing it back and forth in short bursts and jumping around. That's why I was concerned about turbo lag.

As for condition it didn't appear to be the cleanest. The bumper trim along the sides where it would bump up along the dock is all tore up and hanging off and would need to be replaced. The gold finish on the plastics up front is a little worn and rough looking but not to bad.
    When he popped the seat it looked a little dirty and grungy to me. I don't recall specifically if there was rust or corrosion. I know the turbo had that rusty look to it in parts but isn't that pretty typical of turbos? I need to look over the rest in more detail.

My 06 F-12X was hitting 65 solid on the speedo when it was briefly working correctly; on Macsboost Stage 1 kit with brand new pump and the Solas 17/29 impeller, small flat lake. Before that it was pretty easy to hit 62. I never put it on GPS though.

Stage 1 kit for sale, as I will be selling the ski after current repairs. Brand new impeller, used about 2 hours, but I need an exchange for a stock impeller. The module takes 30 seconds to install.

+1

I'm supposed to meet him at the lake either today or tomorrow for a test ride. I'm not overly concerned about going 60 vs 50 to be honest. We mostly love accelerating into wakes and jumping the little lake waves and such. We don't really just open up to top speed and cruise to the other side of the lake. We are mostly constantly gassing it back and forth in short bursts and jumping around. That's why I was concerned about turbo lag.

As for condition it didn't appear to be the cleanest. The bumper trim along the sides where it would bump up along the dock is all tore up and hanging off and would need to be replaced. The gold finish on the plastics up front is a little worn and rough looking but not to bad.
    When he popped the seat it looked a little dirty and grungy to me. I don't recall specifically if there was rust or corrosion. I know the turbo had that rusty look to it in parts but isn't that pretty typical of turbos? I need to look over the rest in more detail.
    IMO...If that turbo is rusty you do not want that ski. From the sounds of it that ski is pretty rough. There's other ski's out there for that price...even Honda's I'm sure. I got my 2004 F12X with 52 hours on it...really clean with an old steel Zeiman trailer for $4500...in 2011.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information