Help 1996 SL700 weak spark its driving me crazy can any one help

I have a 1996 SL700 has 120 PSI compression on each cylinder but weak spark will start every once in a while but for the most part it shows spark on the tester but not on the plugs. Battery voltage is 12.6 Volts. Voltage while cranking is over 11 Volt. When I got the ski it had no spark now it has weak spark. I replaced the stator and I have gone through a lot of testing with the tech support people at SBT and every thing checks out. This ski has the upgraded coil and CDI box. The separate ground going to the battery has been removed and the hot start wire switch has been done seperating the stater power wires and using the yellow wire circuit to power the CDI box. I can't figure out whats going on!!!! when I power the cdi with the yellow circuit the bilge pump stays on.

Banned User
    +1
    Why would you power the CDI with the yellow wire? You power the CDI with the orange wire.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by JDLHP View Post
    ... 1996 SL700 ... I replaced the stator and I have gone through a lot of testing with the tech support people at SBT and every thing checks out. This ski has the upgraded coil and CDI box. The separate ground going to the battery has been removed and the hot start wire switch has been done separating the stater power wires and using the yellow wire circuit to power the CDI box. I can't figure out whats going on!!!! when I power the cdi with the yellow circuit the bilge pump stays on.
    My guess is that you have rigged the wiring incorrectly.

Yellow wires should be in factory configuration.

For diagnostics purposes the Red/Purple and Orange wires should also be restored to factory configuration.

The Black thin wire to the battery should remain disconnected (permanently so).

Thanks for the comments. The hot engine hard start update calls for you to move the CDI power to the yellow circuit. It has weak spark with the factory configuration and the updated configuration. When trying to start the Ski the spark is weak but it looks like when you let of the starter button you get a good pspark for just a second when you let off the button. The latest updates from Polaris call for the elimination of the thin black ground wire they say its bad for the stator.

+1
    PWC-00-05 indicates the CDI power moves to the orange circuit, not yellow:

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10863

Any one else have any ideas on how to fix this ski. what's with the dual voltage regulators could they cause the problem?

+1
    Any one else have any ideas on how to fix this ski. what's with the dual voltage regulators could they cause the problem?
    Did you see the prior replies regarding the Yellow wire?

8. +1 by:

no difference yellow or orange power source. still a weak spark and every thing I have tested is coming out right but the spark is to weak. any one know what I should replace next? already replaced the stator

+1
    no difference yellow or orange power source. still a weak spark and every thing I have tested is coming out right but the spark is to weak. any one know what I should replace next? already replaced the stator
    Yellow wire is NOT a DC power source on these engines.

For testing, connect the CDI Red/Purple to the other Red/Purple wires.

What stator, CDI and ignition coil tests have you done?

+1
    Take a third spark plug and hook to plug wire, hold it to ground and see if it starts right up. Try front and rear plug wire while leaving other plugs still in place. I just went through all this BS with aftermarket stators.

Thread Information