Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

next ignorant questions...

How would I tell if my opas were dragging?

Does the throttle position define it's attitude or...something else?

I'm trying to understand the plowing...drag feeling I'm getting when at WOT in choppy conditions...specifically...after getting airborn slightly, then the ski re-lights on water...the slow-up...drag...whatever feeling is more noticable than before the install of a riva grate.

GreenHulk says the riva grate has shown a marked improvement over stock intakes in skis running better than 75mph. The greater surface in the vein prevents...over stuffing the prop.

It seems to me the vein would actually increase the amount of water entering the box....there-by increasing speed when the ski is in choppy conditions ie not always in contact with the water.

Now, would that still follow in a ski not running that fast...could the vein be actually doing that over stuffing thing...in effect acting like a...drift sock....because the prop ain't spinning fast enough to handle the extra water?

Just curious...trying to understand is all...shibby talked about this before...I'd love to see/hear all the variables...no offense meant toward anyone.

...just a thought....

Maybe the new attitude if the ski with the installation of a 2* wedge is enough to alter the feeling and corresponding drag of the (not lowered)opas when the ski hits the water?

+1
    The plowing, jerking, pulling feeling you get while running thru the chop is the training wheels (OPAS) dragging thru the chop. Time to ditch them!

OPAS on the RXP does not raise and lower. They are fixed.
    On the GTX/RXT models they raise up and down with pump pressure and can sometimes get stuck in the down position due to a clog.

Hmmm...pump pressure...how long...er...how much of a pressure drop?

I can manually lift them and block them off...I should then, huh?

I can't afford the block offs , yet.

I'm saving my pennies for a coupla skegs.

+1
    My advice is get the blockoffs first and then get the skegs later. The blockoffs is the first thing one should do to a ski.

+1
    Also, you might opt for the "block up's" for your ski
    http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...roducts_id=440

Less than $20 and they will permanently hold your OPAS in the up position preventing them from dropping down and causing drag. You can also make some for free out of 3/4" PVC

Thanks man.

On to plan 432...B.

Yeah...those block ups...somebody else had given me that heads up...haven't gotten around to it yet though...

The amount of flipper...opas paddle even when up, still in the path of the water passing the hull...still won't cause appreciable drag?

Quote Originally Posted by VaRedneck View Post

The amount of flipper...opas paddle even when up, still in the path of the water passing the hull...still won't cause appreciable drag?
    if filling the rideplate holes give you increase in speed....the opas, even in the up position has to decrease speed

Up vs down...of course there'd be a difference.

I was wondering if there would be any appreciable drag with the opas even in the up position given the use of a wedge...since the bottom 1/2" or so is still below or outside the plane of the hull.

No biggie really..the game's on and I'll have to put those block ups on and test again before I ask any more ignorant questions.

Thanks guys.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information