Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

fzs gel coating coming off

I bought a 2014 yamaha fzs svho it has 2.6 hrs and i noticed the gel coating coming off where i put it on trailer so i took it to the dealership thinking it was paint and asked them about it they said it was the gel coating and its normal all jetskis and boats do it that as long as it doesnt go through paint its fine but everyone i have talked to says their boat or jetski has never done this anyone else having this problem ?

Banned User
    +1
    Do a search. Lots of 2014 yamahas with paint falling off. It should be repaired under warranty. Dont let your dealer tell you thats normal.

+1
    and dont let them tell you its gelcoat, its paint and it sucks, find one that doesnt have the clearcoat peeling and flaking off the bottom

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by fun rider View Post
    I bought a 2014 yamaha fzs svho it has 2.6 hrs and i noticed the gel coating coming off where i put it on trailer so i took it to the dealership thinking it was paint and asked them about it they said it was the gel coating and its normal all jetskis and boats do it that as long as it doesnt go through paint its fine but everyone i have talked to says their boat or jetski has never done this anyone else having this problem ?
    FYI, That is not gel coat like on a boat. These skis are painted with clear coat paint on top! Tommy Jordan

Fun Rider,

I feel your pain but no worries as long as your within your 1 year manufactures warranty just call up Yamaha directly @ 18009627926 and report the hull paint is flaking off and let them know you would like to enjoy the summer ridding season before you take in the unit for repair at your local authorized Yamaha dealer. I just did this and Yamaha agreed to let me enjoy the summer ridding season they just asked I did not take a year to bring in the unit for repair... I have two 2014 VX Sports and only one for now... has this issue of the hull paint flaking off.

Hope this helps you out Good luck!!

+1
    it's about as normal as the clear coat coming off your car when you've gone through a car wash. I've got the same problem with my 2014 Deluxe. Having the work done at the end of the summer.

We share similar experience. Rode the Waverunner from Miami to Bimini and back. Awesome trip; had a blast. Yamaha powerplant is awesome; reliability flawless, great range/mileage....except for the hull. New 2014 FXHO with 40 hours on it and paint is flaking off hull. Seat side chaffs calves so i have to wear Velcro wraps, so obviously they test ride not so much. I am waiting to see what Yamaha does with the hull. I've owned many Sea Doos and Yamahas and I'm not to happy with this nanoexcel hull material. Soft and easily abraided (and I never beach the PWC). This does NOT happen to fiberglass. We will see how Yamaha steps up....

+1
    I did discuss this with the dealer I just bought my 15 from and unlike the Riva Salesman who was playing stupid (Said he never heard of the issue.. BS) he was open about it. Mentioned he did have a couple that they sold with the issue and all were taken care off thru Yamaha. But what he did tell me was that with Yamaha warranty claims the Dealer pays out of pocket and then Yamaha will then cut them a check after all the paperwork is submitted. So many smaller dealers will go out of their way to lie to you and screw you so that they don't have to front the costs.

And it was discovered that there was a paint robot that was malfunctioning on the production line that had an issue with its water system where it was not properly controlling it and that led to the paint issue. (I am crossing my fingers the 15 does not have the same issue.

My 14 had the issue before it ever saw water. Just from them putting it on my trailer (brand new trailer so not worn bunks) it peeled. Basically the paint has bubbles under the surface that cause the paint to not adhere and comes off very easily

+1
    I had the same paint issue on my 2014 Yamaha FZR SVHO that I bought back in March 2014. The Paint started to come off after a few hours of use. I called up my Dealer and he said he wasn't aware of the issue and hadn't heard anything from Yamaha about it. At that time he told me just to ride it until the end of the season and we would take care of it then. So now it's time to take care of it and I just gave Yamaha a call to see if they were aware of this paint issue on the 2014 Waverunners. They pretty much had no idea what I was talking about and we're not aware of any paint issues!!! This really got me pissed and I took a ride down to the dealer, talked to service guy, e-mailed him pics of peeling paint and he also said he had to look at it and get a quote. So now I'm wondering if Yamaha is going to come thru and take care of this for me or deny it exists. Has anyone talked to Yamaha directly about this paint issue?? Did they admit that they know that there is a paint issue??

Here are some pics of peeling paint.

+1
    Yamaha is very aware, just not all the CS people are or have not been directed how to handle it.

The biggest thing is making sure they get you a reputable shop to do the work. When discussing this issue with the salesperson who I bought my 15 from (Who impressed me with his responses) the issue should now be resolved but they way Yamaha warranty work goes the shop has to get the quotes provide them to Yamaha for approval before the work can be done. He did also state that you can decline a specific shop from doing it. So if they shop does crappy work be sure to say something. The biggest hurdle with smaller dealers is that they have to pay for the repairs themselves and then wait for Yamaha to send them the money when they submit the final paperwork, so sometimes the smaller shops will use stall tactics and other things to get you to go else where so you do not tie up there money waiting for Yamaha to pay them back.

Same reason why some guys get the it will take weeks/months to fix the issue when the same issue is fixed in days at another dealer.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information